Resolver dispute resolution

Associate
Has anyone used Resolver to sort out a problem with Three? I bough a phone from a Three Store earlier this month which has developed a fault. I spent over an hour on the Support line trying to explain and then let them try to solve the problem until they came to the conclusion I'd come to a few days ago that it was faulty. I was getting annoyed by the lack of knowledge and in fact the case was escalated but still not resolved.

By this time I'd also reset the phone and Router twice and spent around 5 hours trying to track down an answer without success.

I took it into the Three Store where I bought it and they told me despite it being less than 30 days old that it's 'company policy' not to issue refunds even though it's now the law that it should be an option if the item is less than 30 days old and is faulty.

I was initially going to follow the CAB procedure, issue a letter to the local store and Head Office followed by raising a claim in the Small Claims Court. However when I was looking for the Head Office address I came across the option to use Resolver and have raised a case. What I didn't realise is that Three now have up to 2 months to resolve it before it goes to the Ombudsman.

Basically has anyone used it, how long did it take, any tips to help speed up the process and anything to be aware of?

Soldato
I'm about 66% sure they get one attempt to fix it between 14 and 28 days - did you do this?

For in-store:
If you’re not satisfied with a purchase due to a defect or fault, you can ask the person or business that sold it to you to put things right. The seller can choose whether to repair or replace the item, but you must act within 30 days of the date of purchase. You are not obliged to demonstrate that the seller was responsible for the fault.

Associate
OP
You have the right to reject the item and get a full refund within 30 days under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The reason I requested one was because I was annoyed with them. Firstly for the total time wasting on the Support line where I kept being challenged saying that I hadn't bought it from Three, it wasn't registered with them and the incompetence of the support person. Bear in mind when the case was escalated and after the 'supervisor' had read the comments I was immediately offered £25 for the poor service.

The final straw was when I was in the shop and mentioned a refund and was told that despite it being the law that I'm entitled to one within 30 days that it was company policy not to offer one under any circumstance. The smug way in which the Store Manager said that made me determined to pursue it. I'm also looking at the option of a 'Section 75' or chargeback with my credit card company and still have the option of the ombudsman and the Small Claims Court.

That smug comment is going to cost them a lot more money than the phone is worth in time spent dealing with it than if they'd simply refunded me, as they should have done, in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you record the earlier call with them? If not write down the time, date and number you called from now for your records (you're gonna need it later) when they admitted the device was faulty. Call up 333 support saying you went to xx store on yy date and the manager refused to honour a refund with a faulty device that had been diagnosed at <date of previous call> and that you are being denied your rights under the CRA, ask them to fix it. Also consider going back to the store, recording the conversation with the store manager (do this openly, ask him under which company policy it's documented and ask for the document title and referenced point) and see what you get. Assuming this all goes down as badly as it could your best option is honestly twitter.

Associate
OP
Yes, The also sent a couple of texts which I've copied and include the Three Support Case Number. You make good points. I'm going to phone 333 now.

Edit: Can you suggest a particular section to contact? I'm being bounced around the Three teams.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My call was escalated to the Complaints section. Not only did she say it's company policy not to issue refunds for items bought in store (and it was clear she was confusing the the distance selling regulations with the Consumer Rights Act) that because this was a formal complaint she would be sending me a letter confirming the reason for refusing a refund i.e. it's company policy.

I did explain that she would be confirming the Company is breaking the law in writing so will have extra evidence should it actually arrive.

Edit: Just to add I don't have Twitter or Facebook accounts so that's not an option. After saying that the Money Section of the Daily Telegraph may be interested in a copy of the letter as they've had a few articles about Three's poor service. I'm looking up how to contact them now.

I will add I'm amazed at how much effort Three put in to refusing refunds. I suspect many people would accept being fobbed off as Three are very determined to hang onto the money once they've got it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
...I'd also write to the CEO asap as well. I receive the fallout of mails that consumers send to this inbox for my company and i assure you, it gets results and is taken extremely seriously. Hopefully three will do the same; [email protected]

As you are familiar with this type of thing I'd be grateful if you'd confirm whether 800 words is OK or too much? While I can fine tune it a bit I'm struggling to cut down the word count much further without leaving out some key details and still remain polite rather than abrupt.

Soldato
The UK CEO here gets a few hundred mails a day at this company and they are dealt with in a few ways but it honestly doesn't matter about the length - they are all dealt with or from what i've heard, you get a kicking internally. Generally there will be the "exec office" who have above normal privledges to get items fixed for customers and then everything else (general complaints, comments) is fed back to the directors who own the particular issue (e.g. customer tech issues are sent to consumer customer service director).

You dont even need to be polite (but it will generally help, we are british after all), i've seen the absolute crudest mails from customers. At the end of the day, if we have failed you we want always want to put the situation right at my company.

Associate
OP
Thanks again, I appreciate your advice. I would always try to be polite anyway so as not to antagonise whoever first reads it from the start. I haven't sent it yet as I wanted to leave it a bit before looking at it again to revise if necessary but I'll send it later today.

Associate
OP
So far it's looking like a result. My complaint letter was redirected from the CEO to the Executive Office to resolve and given a very short timescale to do so. I heard back earlier today and it was agreed that my complaint relating to a refund was justified. Both the Store and Advisors have been made aware of the correct procedure to follow in future in relation to faulty goods.

Rather than have me take the phone back to the store they're going to send out prepaid packaging for me to return it via Royal Mail. I'll take photos to show the phone is in 'as new' condition before I do so just in case and obviously get proof of posting.

Associate
OP
A cheque to cover the phone cost and £30 extra is on its way. Also a promise that the problems I've had have been highlighted as training issues at the Store and Contact Centre.

Thanks to everyone that responded in particular Myshra, your suggestions and advice were much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom