Was set on 1700 build... What do I need if I go 8400?

Soldato
OP
Hopefully will be clicking the buy button in the next day or so...however not liking the price gouging going on with the 8400 at the minute so will be going for the Ryzen build, but 1600 and get a better cooler for overclock.

I only game with a max screen of 75hz so either will do me well but going to support the AMD team again.

Associate
Hopefully will be clicking the buy button in the next day or so...however not liking the price gouging going on with the 8400 at the minute so will be going for the Ryzen build, but 1600 and get a better cooler for overclock.

I only game with a max screen of 75hz so either will do me well but going to support the AMD team again.

I don’t have Ryzen myself but I was impressed with my friends for the price he paid and giving it a slight clock it is a great chip

Soldato
OP
I don’t have Ryzen myself but I was impressed with my friends for the price he paid and giving it a slight clock it is a great chip

I had swayed over to the 8400 after seeing reviews, however prices seem to have increased from around £175 to £210 pushing the price difference between a Ryzen and Intel system much higher.

When you see the reviews vs an overclocked ryzen there is maybe 10fps in it, and the Ryzen seems to hold better minimum fps which I am more bothered about gaming on a 75hz screen.

Soldato
I had swayed over to the 8400 after seeing reviews, however prices seem to have increased from around £175 to £210 pushing the price difference between a Ryzen and Intel system much higher.

When you see the reviews vs an overclocked ryzen there is maybe 10fps in it, and the Ryzen seems to hold better minimum fps which I am more bothered about gaming on a 75hz screen.

go mine at the cheaper level along with ryzen when was on sale - still waiting on both my boards to see the to though - wanting to see how ram speeds effect the 8400 . from what you say about the 10fps- could £20 more on a higher hz kit make up the difference or beat it - but then work out less value for money

least its a great time for buying a CPU- not straight to intel, then jump to ryzen - but now actually having to have a damn good think about it :D

then you look at the price of an i7 and wonder if you bought your partner a gift for that price would you get more pleasure then gaming....

Soldato
OP
go mine at the cheaper level along with ryzen when was on sale - still waiting on both my boards to see the to though - wanting to see how ram speeds effect the 8400 . from what you say about the 10fps- could £20 more on a higher hz kit make up the difference or beat it - but then work out less value for money

least its a great time for buying a CPU- not straight to intel, then jump to ryzen - but now actually having to have a damn good think about it :D

then you look at the price of an i7 and wonder if you bought your partner a gift for that price would you get more pleasure then gaming....

I have noticed even Ryzen prices are now sneakily increasing, only by a little but I imagine this is off the back of poor availability of the 8400 and other coffee lake chips currently.

Soldato
I have noticed even Ryzen prices are now sneakily increasing, only by a little but I imagine this is off the back of poor availability of the 8400 and other coffee lake chips currently.

yeah, just saw distributors have increased sightly then retail will increase a bit more- dont think it's AMD directly as they want marketshare - but its a smart move by sellers from a business point of view- just by a few pounds to make that profit margin 1% more is enough

is a shame the most common team group 16GB ram went from £101 to £150 - when there was still stock in :(

just pick one up now since it was dropped for Ryzen 1600 and 8 Packs 3200 for the i5 8400- in hopes of testing from 3000 all the way to as far as it will do - braking the budget theme a bit but should show a ram speed indication for price vs performance

Caporegime
the Z370 and 8400 is not really future proofing yourself. i would go ryzen tbh. more cores/threads and future proofed. also intel have a big monopoly the more money AMD can get the better it is for everyone.

we all need AMD to do well as currently their GPU's are awful.

Soldato
OP
Just ordered the following:

1600 Retail
Teamgroup Nighthawk 16gb 3200 RGB
Gaming 3 Board
Samsung Evo 250gb SSD
Coolermaster Masterbox Lite RGB

Cost £603.82
Amazon Vouchers Given free - £40
Total cost - £563.82

Look forward to building it next week once all the items arrive :)

Last edited:
Associate
Just ordered the following:

1600 Retail
Teamgroup Nighthawk 16gb 3200 RGB
Gaming 3 Board
Samsung Evo 250gb SSD
Coolermaster Masterbox Lite RGB

Cost £603.82
Amazon Vouchers Given free - £40
Total cost - £563.82

Look forward to building it next week once all the items arrive :)

Some good components there, make sure you grab some pictures too. You forgot one thing from your list ....... haribo!

Soldato
OP
Some good components there, make sure you grab some pictures too. You forgot one thing from your list ....... haribo!

Been contemplating this build for a while...moving from a 1700x, to a 1700 and then the 8400, to a 1600x and then settled on the 1600!

Main reason being I was just going to get the cpu, mobo & ram...then I fancied a new case and then realised having a new pc would mean I could play a few more games so a new HDD was needed!

All in all my budget had been set at £585 and I have been able to come in under this.

The case was a very very last minute change...I was set on the Antec P8 but then I fancied a little bit more 'bling' and as the RGB fans included on the case work with the Gigabyte software thought I would give it a go!

System will be paired up with my exisiting 980 card so should give me some nice 1080P gaming experiences.

Associate

Been contemplating this build for a while...moving from a 1700x, to a 1700 and then the 8400, to a 1600x and then settled on the 1600!

Main reason being I was just going to get the cpu, mobo & ram...then I fancied a new case and then realised having a new pc would mean I could play a few more games so a new HDD was needed!

All in all my budget had been set at £585 and I have been able to come in under this.

The case was a very very last minute change...I was set on the Antec P8 but then I fancied a little bit more 'bling' and as the RGB fans included on the case work with the Gigabyte software thought I would give it a go!

System will be paired up with my exisiting 980 card so should give me some nice 1080P gaming experiences.

I know the prices have crept up with with Ryzen and Ram has shot up so to come in under your budget with that in mind and the additional bits is great. It’s not liked you have had to settle for inferior parts either should get some good gains with that lot and the case is nice on the eye

Soldato
OP
I know the prices have crept up with with Ryzen and Ram has shot up so to come in under your budget with that in mind and the additional bits is great. It’s not liked you have had to settle for inferior parts either should get some good gains with that lot and the case is nice on the eye

I managed to source the Motherboard for £85 which has helped somewhat. Just had to add another £15 to the cost as ordered another Coolermaster RGB fan for the exhaust, I thought it came with a standard fan but after reading it 'only' comes with the front RGB fans.

Back
Top Bottom