Netflix 4k licence for Star Trek Discovery

Soldato
The reason I said it was that I'm sure I read a w few years ago that Netflix will never separate 4k from hdr (mainly as there are very few if any 1080 sets that do hdr.

Soldato
netflix had been making hdr available for sony 1080p tvs, and reecent iphone/apple hdr streams.

..but with a poorer broadband speed, at what point is crossing from downgraded dash bitrate 15,13,11,9 Mb/s at 4K to a 1080 stream giving better perceived PQ.
BBC reduce Iplayer resolution.

Associate
Last week on 25th Sep. Star Trek Discovery Premierd in 4k HDR/DV in the UK.
This week on 2nd Oct it's limited to 1080p HDR/DV.
I called Netflix & they said they don't have a licence to stream the Netflix show in 4k, something about the producers & they didn't know when they can get a 4k license.

Does anyone know when Netflix will allow the UK to watch this in 4k again?

Is it in 4k in the US & if so would a VPN work? Anyone know a VPN that works

A VPN won't help and Netflix are clamping down on VPN use to access content from other regions. I use IP Vanish and cannot access US content.

Even though you might have a legitimate Netflix account they like to call this practice "VPN Piracy".

Honestly I can see a time where certain websites will have a blanket ban on VPN use.

Soldato
OP
Hopefully Netflix will soon stream it in the same quality as on the 25th Sep. Which looks to have been a higher bit rated 1080p at rec2020 HDR/DV.
Although, with looking into this I discovered the none prime/kelvin STD is going to be cured by an anti inflammatory Trek tangent with a new show based on prime. Yet more canon fodder for the fans to dissect.

Soldato
Ive started watching this, wow the special effects have really moved on from jonathon archer era. Looks good so far, its a shame they're only releasing one episode a week tho.

Soldato
netflix had been making hdr available for sony 1080p tvs, and reecent iphone/apple hdr streams.

..but with a poorer broadband speed, at what point is crossing from downgraded dash bitrate 15,13,11,9 Mb/s at 4K to a 1080 stream giving better perceived PQ.
BBC reduce Iplayer resolution.

The Netflix app on the Samsung K8500 does 4k HDR since the firmware version earlier this year v1011 I believe it was. It was actually leaked before that by an alleged student working for them before the deal between Netflix and Samsung was finalised and Samsung got their danny's slapped for releasing it early the withdrawing it then releasing it officially.

Soldato
Is there an article that discusses CBS production flow then ?
I had read this
...What's also disappointing is that its original content (so far, just Star Trek: Discovery) caps out at 1080p. Both Netflix and Amazon have committed to presenting their high-budget original series in 4K resolution, sometimes even with HDR color features. Star Trek: Discovery has neither, even though UHD benefits science-fiction more than almost any other genre.

but it seemed ambiguous, the CBS All access system is unable to deilver 4K or the source material was not produced in 4K ?

Soldato
To be honest I didn't notice it wasn't 4K, and I have a 65" OLED.

It was broadcast in Dolby Vision on Netflix though, and I could see that was definitely the case. The boosters on her jumpsuit looked really bright at one point.
When you watch on large screens then the lack of 4k is very noticeable.

Caporegime
Well that would depends entirely on various factors such as:

1) How close you are to the screen
2) How good your TV's upscaling is
3) The quality of your Netflix app

65" is pretty big and I didn't notice being 10ft away.

Soldato

4) How good your eyesight is:p.

I notice 13 feet away from 60 the difference between a 4k and HD stream.

Soldato

When you start getting up to large screens like 100" or bigger there is a clear noticeable difference between 4k Netflix and 1080p. Saying that I would have thought 4k would ne a noticeable diffrance even on smaller screens like 65".

Back
Top Bottom