Missing people

Soldato
Probably most of these are folk posting on Facebook that their teenager son hasn't been seen for all of 2 hours so must be missing blah blah. When I was teen I'd stop out all night crashed out on someones bedroom floor and no one sent out a search party.

Caporegime
Probably most of these are folk posting on Facebook that their teenager son hasn't been seen for all of 2 hours so must be missing blah blah. When I was teen I'd stop out all night crashed out on someones bedroom floor and no one sent out a search party.
Erm, no, because if you look at the OP this is based on people reported missing to the police, not people reported missing to Facebook.

Soldato
Would be easy enough to disappear in the UK if you wanted too and had a bit of discipline, plenty of work available cash in hand, would be easy to be a lodger in a shared house without paperwork etc, and I think you can legally use an alias as long as it's not in an attempt to defraud anyone.

Soldato
A lot of people simply choose to vanish. Too much debt, bad relationship, family problems, drug issues... any one of these is enough to prompt a Harold Holt.

It is crazy. I think maybe some disappear as a last resort for a change of pace. They may seem fine on the outside with family, kids, home, stability and job but in their head they may be desperate to get out. For these people, it can be an all or nothing decision. Drop it all and disappear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
It is crazy. I think maybe some disappear as a last resort for a change of pace. They may seem fine on the outside with family, kids, home, stability and job but in their head they may be desperate to get out. For these people, it can be an all or nothing decision. Drop it all and disappear.
I hadn't considered this until reading your post - but I wonder if the rate for missing adults correlates to the suicide rates - e.g how many people are in a bad situation but consider suicide before doing a runner and vica versa...

Maybe someone will be along in a minute with some data, but would be interesting to compare the missing vs suicide rate for young men for example.

Associate
The vast majority of missing people are

1) Children in care who abscond from either the care home or their foster carers - the carers have a duty to ensure their safety so report them to the Police. Most are found fairly quickly or turn up of their own accord.
2) Children who don't come home at the right time/leave home after argument with parents. Again most turn up of their own accord or are found following enquiries.
3) Persons who either abscond from Mental Health wards or overstay their leave and don't return. Again most are found quite quickly or turn up of their own accord.

Soldato
So most are found? I don't do social media, other then here. Still we 20k a year is still a lot?
"More than 135,000 individuals were reported* missing in England and Wales in 2015-16, some on more than one occasion".
Followed by: "Nearly 80% of cases are resolved within 24 hours and the vast majority within seven days - only 2% of people go missing for longer than a week".

So yeah, most only reported missing and do not stay missing.

Back
Top Bottom