EPC certificates

Associate
We’re in the process of moving house and although our EPC is about 4-5 years old, the buyers want us to produce a new one to show it’s gone up a category as potentially they may rent out the property at a later date so need a minimum of grade E

As we live in a 1900 terraced house the current rating is F - this was done by the previous owners when we bought the house about 4 years ago

Since then we’ve had the old dated back boiler replaced with new Worcester combi boiler with Nest thermostat (year old), new radiators through out, replaced the last two single glazed windows in the utility to double glazed, replaced the old wooden front doors with composite door, changed all light bulbs to LED or low energy and topped up the insulation in the loft recently

I’ve not got much experience with EPCs but the estate agents have said the sale hinges on the outcome of this; will the above be sufficient to increase a band or will more be required?

Soldato
You have no obligation to provide a new EPC if your current one is still valid (I.e less than 10 years old and no major changes such as habitable extensions). I would tell them to get stuffed especially as they "may" need it at some point in the future. Either that or the agent does it for free.

Soldato
You have no obligation to provide a new EPC if your current one is still valid (I.e less than 10 years old and no major changes such as habitable extensions). I would tell them to get stuffed especially as they "may" need it at some point in the future. Either that or the agent does it for free.

BUT if you have a good buyer that is prepared to pay a good price for the place then its not a big investment to get someone in to issue one...

Soldato
Does anyone pay attention to these or does it largely get ignored?

We have had ours since we bought about 8 years ago so have no requirement to pay for a new one. But having made quite a few changes (LED lightbulbs, new oven, boiler and cavity and loft insulation) i'd imagine it's had a positive effect.

Soldato
Agreed, especially if it’s the last hurdle to overcome in selling

But do shop around, talk to them about what you need and explain whats been done. Make sure you have receipts/evidence to hand for the work that cant be seen (they need evidence). Might be worth switching the last few bulbs to LED (screwfix do a 5 pack for £10) just to be sure.

We have had ours since we bought about 8 years ago so have no requirement to pay for a new one. But having made quite a few changes (LED lightbulbs, new oven, boiler and cavity and loft insulation) i'd imagine it's had a positive effect.

As a landlord with a few properties we are obliged to provide it up front.. Most tenants have no interest, even when we highlight it and talk through the money savings due to high levels of insulation, led lights, solar etc then dont care.
I do care, and find it quite interesting.. But then I like my bills to be as low as possible, and the EPC give a good guide as to what has been done.

Associate
OP

Generally no but I think its because the people buying ours may potentially be renting at a later date, they are interested.
When house buying I never look at it

Associate
OP
But do shop around, talk to them about what you need and explain whats been done. Make sure you have receipts/evidence to hand for the work that cant be seen (they need evidence). Might be worth switching the last few bulbs to LED (screwfix do a 5 pack for £10) just to be sure.

Not a bad idea, didnt realise they were so cheap now. I did a look around last night and the majority are all LED now with a handful of low energy so will swap those

I've spent enough on all the legal fees and searches etc. for it to fall down now

Soldato
Generally no but I think its because the people buying ours may potentially be renting at a later date, they are interested.
When house buying I never look at it

The EPC gives at a glance the occupier an idea of running costs. The better the rating in theory the lower the running costs over the year.

I produce EPCs for new houses, but I've not done one for an existing property for a number of years. On first inspection if you've replaced all the doors and windows with improved units, increased insulation, upgraded the boiler, and replaced the bulbs with LEDs I'd certainly say you're well on the way to improving your rating, but whether its enough to bump it up a band no one can really know until the calculation is carried out.

@Marvt74 , replacing your oven doesn't make a difference to the house :p

Associate
OP
The EPC gives at a glance the occupier an idea of running costs. The better the rating in theory the lower the running costs over the year.

I produce EPCs for new houses, but I've not done one for an existing property for a number of years. On first inspection if you've replaced all the doors and windows with improved units, increased insulation, upgraded the boiler, and replaced the bulbs with LEDs I'd certainly say you're well on the way to improving your rating, but whether its enough to bump it up a band no one can really know until the calculation is carried out.

Thanks for that; any other recommendations you can make on the cheap?

Soldato
We’re in the process of moving house and although our EPC is about 4-5 years old, the buyers want us to produce a new one to show it’s gone up a category as potentially they may rent out the property at a later date so need a minimum of grade E

As we live in a 1900 terraced house the current rating is F - this was done by the previous owners when we bought the house about 4 years ago

Since then we’ve had the old dated back boiler replaced with new Worcester combi boiler with Nest thermostat (year old), new radiators through out, replaced the last two single glazed windows in the utility to double glazed, replaced the old wooden front doors with composite door, changed all light bulbs to LED or low energy and topped up the insulation in the loft recently

I’ve not got much experience with EPCs but the estate agents have said the sale hinges on the outcome of this; will the above be sufficient to increase a band or will more be required?

Think you've done more than enough to get the EPC rating up. The guy who does mine told me the boiler makes a big difference especially if you have an old one, so that alone probably may have pushed you up a band or even two. A quick google brings up this https://www.todaysconveyancer.co.uk/news/how-much-impact-will-home-improvements-have-on-an-epc/ According to that a boiler from the seventies to new a Combi with new controls takes it up 21 points, so would take you from an F to a D band.

An EPC cost like £60 so if the house sale hinges on that then I would just get it done.

Associate
OP
That was a great website JAzz thanks and very similar to our property. Fingers crossed then we’ve ticked the boxes

There is actually a similar aged house for sale a few doors up with the modern touches we have (new boiler, LEL or LED lighting, with full double glazing) as is a high D so sounds positive

Back
Top Bottom