• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
My goodies arrived yesterday. I've still not opened them up yet!! I have a case, but no screen cover yet..... Will open up boxes tomorrow. That gives me a full day to play (I have 2200 icloud photos and 45 vids to download over my 4mb connection :D

Associate
Felt strongly enough about it to make it on of your 60 posts in 3 years? :p

I agree though. By next year we'll have face ID on every iPhone and it'll be a lot cheaper. Maybe not the notch though...
Not sure about a lot cheaper.

People are clearly willing to purchase at this price, so theres no real incentive to drop it.

At best there may be a reintroduction of the 128GB tier, so they could make the 64GB a bit cheaper than the current £999 price.

The cheaper proposition next year will very likely be....This years iPhone X. Cant afford the 2018 model, then you can buy the 2017 model at xxx price.

Actually oh and the rumoured 6.4" LCD iPhone X may be cheaper than its Amoled counterpart.

As much as I wish it'd be cheaper next year im not betting on it, im hoping to hold out for next years model. Cant justify the X atm, its nice but yeah unless someone throws a cracking sim free price at me :p

Associate
Does anyone have a problem with the screen flickering? especially on the mail app

Yeah I have the same issue. Mainly when opening new unread emails. Might drop into an Apple store and see if it's software or hardware. I love the phone but iOS 11 is so bad I am assuming it's software..

Soldato
Not sure about a lot cheaper.

People are clearly willing to purchase at this price, so theres no real incentive to drop it.

At best there may be a reintroduction of the 128GB tier, so they could make the 64GB a bit cheaper than the current £999 price.

The cheaper proposition next year will very likely be....This years iPhone X. Cant afford the 2018 model, then you can buy the 2017 model at xxx price.

Actually oh and the rumoured 6.4" LCD iPhone X may be cheaper than its Amoled counterpart.

As much as I wish it'd be cheaper next year im not betting on it, im hoping to hold out for next years model. Cant justify the X atm, its nice but yeah unless someone throws a cracking sim free price at me :p

Obviously I have no insider knowledge so I couldn't tell you how much cheaper it will be next year but two things tell me it's going to be cheaper:

Product economics - the more experience they have making the expensive bits like Face ID components, the cheaper it gets. Just like the PS4 now is miles cheaper than launch, as the original spacs are now really low tech.

Marketing - lots of people are buying now at the high price, but by next year all the early adopters willing to pay that price will already have a phone. The only way to sustain sales is to drop the price and make it accessible to the next rung down who aren't going to splurge £999 on a phone. Apple have been doing this on the Macbook Pro generations for years now, bringing down the price as a design gets older. Every time a new gen comes out, there's a big jump in price to snare the people with the highest willingness to pay.

Associate
Obviously I have no insider knowledge so I couldn't tell you how much cheaper it will be next year but two things tell me it's going to be cheaper:

Product economics - the more experience they have making the expensive bits like Face ID components, the cheaper it gets. Just like the PS4 now is miles cheaper than launch, as the original spacs are now really low tech.

Marketing - lots of people are buying now at the high price, but by next year all the early adopters willing to pay that price will already have a phone. The only way to sustain sales is to drop the price and make it accessible to the next rung down who aren't going to splurge £999 on a phone. Apple have been doing this on the Macbook Pro generations for years now, bringing down the price as a design gets older. Every time a new gen comes out, there's a big jump in price to snare the people with the highest willingness to pay.
I wouldnt neccessarily compare a games console dropping in price to an iPhone, they were always going to reduce in price...No way they could have stuck to their launch price to this date for something that released in 2013. Games consoles drop in price very quickly, iPhones generally dont as far as brand new.

FaceID may be cheaper to make but will Apple pass on that saving to the consumer in a meanignful way.

Personally as much as I wish they would drop the price and hope they do I'm not confident, way I see it they'll proposition the 2017 X as the cheaper handset if you want to jump aboard the Amoled, new design etc then the 8 series below that and maybe the rumoured new iPhone SE.

But we'll see fingers crossed ;)

Man of Honour
Anyone elses Face ID getting progressively worse? Mine seems to be deteriorating and occassionally gets stuck with the spinning icon like it's considering it's options!

Yeah also finding this. Can’t get it to unlock in the morning any more when I first wake up and am lying in bed.

It also regularly fails during the day. Starting to become pretty tired of it tbh. Often quicker to just use the password

Associate
Now that i've finally got mine unpacked (after having it sat in the box for 3 weeks due to being busy in the workshop and being in two minds over it), I've gotta say i'm impressed with FaceID

Its learnt my face very well and will even unlock while i'm drinking out of a cup and pick my phone up to have a quick look. The only time its failed is when i was fully masked up for the workshop, but no surprise there!.

I just need a wireless charger though that sits the phone upright on my desk at work.

Seems to be pretty seamless in operation though. I can only see it getting faster over time

Soldato
Now that i've finally got mine unpacked (after having it sat in the box for 3 weeks due to being busy in the workshop and being in two minds over it), I've gotta say i'm impressed with FaceID

Its learnt my face very well and will even unlock while i'm drinking out of a cup and pick my phone up to have a quick look. The only time its failed is when i was fully masked up for the workshop, but no surprise there!.

I just need a wireless charger though that sits the phone upright on my desk at work.

Seems to be pretty seamless in operation though. I can only see it getting faster over time

I bought this one for work and it's perfect. Just tap the screen and it's angled perfectly to unlock with a glance.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N0XZDMD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only had mine for 3 weeks but can already tell I'd hate to go back to TouchID. FaceID Has been much better

Associate
PSA: Please do not buy the official apple folio leather case. It has magnets that cause interference with the microphones.
I have return mine..

Does anyone have any non apple suggestions that are similar?

Soldato
TBH, that's a good reason not to buy it. I'm so ****** off with their software QA at the moment. I definitely woudln't recommend it to a friend right now, especially if they're a power user. Apple really do need to get their **** together.

Back
Top Bottom