The puzzle of the three X99 motherboards

Associate
Can anyone work out what is going on here:

The players in this story are three X99 motherboards, one 5820K CPU, 16GB Kingston RAM, Windows 8.1 on a DVD, Windows 10 on a flash drive, and a pair of SSDs.

Motherboard A seems to work OK with all of the above components installed into it and either copy of Windows.

Motherboard B crashes when on the 'installing devices' part of Windows installation using either copy of Windows and either SSD.

Motherboard C also crashes at 'installing devices' using either copy of Windows and either SSD.

What is causing this problem? I had thought motherboard B must be faulty, but motherboard C is doing exactly the same thing and it is unlikely they both have the same kind of fault. I then thought maybe the SSD was dying, but a second SSD does exactly the same thing. But it can't really be the CPU or the RAM because those both work fine on motherboard A.

I'm stumped.

Associate
OP
Make it a fourth X99 - I was able to borrow a fourth motherboard which also will not load Windows. I'm using a USB flash drive for Windows 10 and a SATA DVD drive for Windows 8.1. I've tried different USB ports for the keyboard/mouse too. Really can't figure this out at all. Clearly there is something wrong with a part that is not the motherboards and probably not the Windows either. I've tried different RAM in different slots with no effect. The only thing I don't have duplicates of is the CPU, but that seemed to be working with the first motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom