Roast potatoes - best fat to use?

Soldato
I called my mother a heathen for not parboiling, but then again I've never tried them without. Although I'm sure I've eaten ones she's cooked, which aren't great. Remains to be seen if it's because of lack of parboiling or other vital steps missed :p

Man of Honour
I've experimented with and without pre-boiling and it really depends on the potato type and the result you want. Personally I think it's always better to parboil but with the right variety of potato you can achieve very good results without it.

Associate
IMO not parboiling is a sin.

I want roasties with the outside looking like a mountain range (through a magnifier glass) so that you get all the crunch.

Last year I did one batch in goose fat and one lot in olive oil. Both turned out excellent, really crunchy on the outside. The olive oil potatoes took a lot longer though.

Associate
for my Sunday roasts I use olive oil, extra virgin :p

For holiday specials though, goose fat all the way, with a bit of olive oil at the bottom of the tin.

Caporegime
OP
Well I had some goose fat left over, so in the end I went for a combination of goose fat, beef dripping, and salted butter.

I used approx. 20 King Edwards, first simmering them for 10 mins in salted water. Then I let them cool for about two hours before the first roast.

20 minutes in:

UlbXxClh.jpg

40 minutes in and the end of the first cook:

9cZbWluh.jpg

Bit worried I took them too far. They'll need some careful treatment on Christmas Day to avoid being burnt; perhaps 20 mins at 140 or something. They're crispy af though :D. Some of the dark look comes from using butter I think.

They're now cooling and once cool will be covered with layering tissue and frozen in the trays.

Caporegime
OP
Batch #2: Maris Pipers this time, with butter, beef dripping, seasoning, and garlic. Cooking time approx. 35 mins. Now in the freezer ready for a frozen King Edwards vs. Maris Piper trial tomorrow.

9h888mdh.jpg

Followed by a well-deserved G&T!

SGkx9tCl.jpg

Soldato
I kept reading how Goosefat was the best thing to use for roast potatoes, but it sounds horrible to me, i'd rather use beef dripping but don't know where to get hold of it. I did buy a jar of Goosefat from Tesco, but I think i'll probably not take the chance and just use plain old rapeseed oil.

Soldato
we usually go the straight (parboil+) lard route, usually afding roast parsnips into the mix too.

Now in the freezer ready for a frozen King Edwards vs. Maris Piper trial tomorrow.
the freezing - that is not also for xmas day itself ? - can they be resurrected to a reasonable state, the oven is a bit of a juggling act but we always manage.

Soldato
I went for the part cook, freeze and finish on Christmas day last year, took them up to my parents (we are do part of the meal and bring it all together on the day) and it went very wrong.

I think the heat had gone from the oven when they put them in, they put them in for 20 while sorting out other stuff and starting to dish up but when they got to the table many of us had roasts with cold insides. Everyone mocked the whole pre freeze thing and I couldn't really say it was my mums fault :-/
This year everyone is at ours so no need to freeze really and everyone is already starting on the "don't do them wrong this time" thing. Must take the high ground!

I will par boil them and fluff them up, leave them to cool. I have vegi's in the family so tend to get with vegi oil seasoned in the tray and then add them in. Worked lovely yesterday and every time before :)

Back
Top Bottom