Graphics card - Sli to one card..

Associate
Hi

I am about to change my graphics cards and currently have 980's in SLi. I have just brought an Asus 1081ti strix Oc and need to put that into the case.

I was going to pay a local PC Doctor to fit the card but he wanted £50 for the work which after speaking to a friend is taking the .....

So, I have watched a number of video's on youtube and think that I will have go myself. My only real concern is which power cables do i plug into the new card?? I was thinking it would be the power cables that go into my top 980, but then what do I do with the now not needed power cables to the bottom card??

I have checked and both my 980 and the new 1080ti have 8 pin connectors so I'm hoping it just a case of unplugging the old card and plugging in the new one..

But what to do with the power cables for my now redundant second card.... ??

Very new to all of this changing components thing so any help would be gratefully received.

:):)

Associate
OP
Hide them away or remove them if it's a modular power supply

So I can just tuck the unused cables away and that will be fine?? I have a SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1000W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum" Power Supply, so this would be ok??

And does it matter which cables I use for the new card? Top or bottom?

Many thanks for your quick reply

Soldato
So I can just tuck the unused cables away and that will be fine?? I have a SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1000W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum" Power Supply, so this would be ok??

And does it matter which cables I use for the new card? Top or bottom?

Many thanks for your quick reply

That is a fully modular power supply so you can unplug the cables that are not being used. Just trace the cable/s back to the psu and unplug it.

Associate
It's daunting to get stuck in at first, I can relate to it. I recently went through the process of building my very first PC, and I can say that if you go as per the many video guides on YouTube, you won't put a foot wrong.

Oh! Please stay well clear from that extortionate PC Doctor.

Soldato
Please never pay £50 to somone for a problem that can be solved within seconds.. People like that give the PC community a bad name and take advantage.

Associate
OP
Thanks again everyone. I will get this sorted and may have a go at reseating my processor a bit further down the road. Just need to get my confidence up I guess. As for the PC Doctor, he can do one lol

Back
Top Bottom