Caselabs - Import duty?

Soldato
Hi all,
Hope everyone is enjoying there Christmas.
I am contemplating purchasing a caselabs case - but I am unable to find out how much the import duty is for importing to the UK from USA. I need to know this as I am concerned about overall cost as you have to pay import duty and then 20% Vat on top of that. Groan.

Anybody know the import duty figure?

Happy New Year to all at Ocers.

Mark

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Caselabs now have an EU distribution shop. www.bestcases.eu

I’ve used them, they’re ok.

Nope - there is a thread on ocn forums - Caselabs do not supply through these people anymore due to too many problems, so that option is out, besides they don't have my case on there. Caselabs are currently looking for another European supplier. May be even Ocers !!!!!

Associate
had a look on the customs guide and unfortunately "PC Case" isn't found as a listed item. However I found the following

All sections
•Section XV: Base metals and articles of base metal
◦76
Aluminium and articles thereof
◾16
Other articles of aluminium ◾Other◾Other◾Other◾Other
◾Parts in the shape of a rectangular frame:
- of painted aluminium,
- with a length of 1 011 mm or more but not more than 1 500 mm,
- with a width of 622 mm or more but not more than 900 mm,
- with a thickness of 0,6 mm (± 0,1 mm),
of a kind used in the manufacture of TV sets

The above has a 6% Duty fee which closly matches a PC case build spec.

So if your spending £1000 on the case including shipping its

£1000+6% = £1060
£1060+20% VAT = £1272

So Total Import costs =£272

Ring the Helpline on Telephone:
0300 200 3700

To get an accurate Duty %

Soldato
OP
had a look on the customs guide and unfortunately "PC Case" isn't found as a listed item. However I found the following

All sections
•Section XV: Base metals and articles of base metal
◦76
Aluminium and articles thereof
◾16
Other articles of aluminium ◾Other◾Other◾Other◾Other
◾Parts in the shape of a rectangular frame:
- of painted aluminium,
- with a length of 1 011 mm or more but not more than 1 500 mm,
- with a width of 622 mm or more but not more than 900 mm,
- with a thickness of 0,6 mm (± 0,1 mm),
of a kind used in the manufacture of TV sets

The above has a 6% Duty fee which closly matches a PC case build spec.

So if your spending £1000 on the case including shipping its

£1000+6% = £1060
£1060+20% VAT = £1272

So Total Import costs =£272

Ring the Helpline on Telephone:
0300 200 3700

To get an accurate Duty %

Hi,
Many thanks for that - I tried looking but gave up Lol.

Mark

Associate
maybe it best to call and get them to categorise it for you and confirm it via letter/email. it then means if when imported they charge you more you have proof of the % quoted and then can claim the difference back.

Also might be worth while checks the "project log section" as im sure theres a few have used caselabs before and can dig could old receipts to see what import costs they incurred. I'd love one of those cases in the future but the price puts me off lol

Associate
I imported one about 5 years ago an M8. Think it was £250 for the case and I paid about £100 for import taxes. Can't remember but I know they held it until I called them and paid. Worth pointing out that if you just needed accessories you can ask them to mark it up as "sample" and this will avoid any duties. Has done for me anyway.

Soldato
OP
maybe it best to call and get them to categorise it for you and confirm it via letter/email. it then means if when imported they charge you more you have proof of the % quoted and then can claim the difference back.

Also might be worth while checks the "project log section" as im sure theres a few have used caselabs before and can dig could old receipts to see what import costs they incurred. I'd love one of those cases in the future but the price puts me off lol
Some good ideas there - will have a look in projects section etc. Thanks for your input. The price puts me off a lot - but just gotta do it. No doubt I will regret spending so much - but you only live once.:D

Soldato
Pretty much the price x 1.24 should be approx the amount to get it to UK. So basically the GBP is the same as USD, when including tax and duty. I can remember when it was 0.5x GBP to USD a few years ago.

Associate
Import duty is about 6% plus paying the courier his little tip for processing which for me was about £30 to Fedex. Caselabs didn't put the true value of the case on my paperwork, case was an S8 at about $800 but they put $350, but list it as aluminium parts. Hope that helps. Looks like they will be going back to bestcases.eu in the near future see my question on OCN (http://www.overclock.net/t/1643723/...r-on-caselabs-website-in-where-to-buy-section)

Soldato
OP
Import duty is about 6% plus paying the courier his little tip for processing which for me was about £30 to Fedex. Caselabs didn't put the true value of the case on my paperwork, case was an S8 at about $800 but they put $350, but list it as aluminium parts. Hope that helps. Looks like they will be going back to bestcases.eu in the near future see my question on OCN (http://www.overclock.net/t/1643723/...r-on-caselabs-website-in-where-to-buy-section)

Thanks for that info, but sadly they will be listing total cost for mine for insurance purposes(there new rules apparently???) so ho hum, it will be very expensive, never again.:(

Associate
The issue was their behaviour to customers that wanted help. Some of their replies were insane. Calling people mental and asking if a customer "had taken their meds?"

It's good to see caselabs have dropped them

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The issue was their behaviour to customers that wanted help. Some of their replies were insane. Calling people mental and asking if a customer "had taken their meds?"

It's good to see caselabs have dropped them
Sadly they have not dropped them - they are now back together, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom