• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti to 1080ti?

Associate
Hello,

I bought my custom PC from Overclockers 2 years ago. I have an ASUS 980ti Strix but ever since buying a 4K TV (Samsung KS8000) I’ve been tempted to upgrade my GPU to 1080ti (ASUS Strix) which is currently retailing around £750. There are a lot of games in 2018 I am looking to buy that are graphics intensive.

I want to be able to max out games at 4K with the hope of 40+ FPS.

My question is:

1 - Is it worth it?
2 - I would like to sell my 980ti, what’s the best place? Would Overclockers be a buyer (probably a question for them)?
3 - I don’t want to change my Motherboard (Asus Z170M-Plus Intel Z170 DDR4 Micro ATX), CPU (Intel Core i5-6600K 3.9GHz Skylake) and PSU (EVGA Supernova P2 750W '80 Plus Platinum) - These components won’t bottleneck the 1080ti would it?

Many thanks,
E

Soldato
1. The jump is noticeable in terms of performance gain. I would take a look at benchmarks however on site's like Guru 3D of game review's to get an idea of the performance jump you can expect and see if that is worth it too you.

2. No I do not believe they will buy second hand hardware. On here Member's Market is the place to sell, but you need a minimum 1000 posts. In your case it will be the normal place's I expect / friends.

3. Bottleneck does not quiet work like that. but to keep it short, the 6600k is more then capable of producing 60 FPS in most titles (may be few in which it takes a hit / optimized ones). The GPU more likely then not will be the overall limitation to performance at 4k depending on the game / settings you drive. Your PSU is more then fine for such a build, even overclocked as hard as you possibly can it will not break a sweat.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. Final question, when would be the best time to buy the 1080ti?

Originally it was £800 but I can see it has dropped down to £740. Any chance of further reductions in the new year?

Caporegime
Your guess is a good as ours but January sales can't hurt, 1080Tis can be had for as little as ~£650 I think. You should get £200-250 for your 980Ti so the 1080Ti should be around cost £500.

Associate
I'm in a similar position looking to sell parts to fund a 1080ti, I'm moving from 980ti in Sli but I hardly ever use Sli these days as not a huge performance gain in what I play or with VR. I'm concerned at the actual price of 1080ti, since there seems to be a surge in demand for mining the likes of Verticoin etc. I know I might get almost £500 for my cards but still can't help feeling the 1080ti is overpriced atm.

Associate
OP
It feels overpriced... but I still feel the need to go for it!!

Does anyone know if there is a big difference in performance from the ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-11G and ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G? There is a price difference of around £40 when I look online.

Also, looking at the dimensions of the 980ti that I have (30.5 x 15.22 x 3.98 CM), will my case (Temjin TJ08B-E) and motherboard (Z170M-PLUS INTEL Z170 (SOCKET 1151) DDR4 MICRO ATX) have enough room for the 1080ti (29.8 x 13.4 x 5.25 CM) I want to buy?

My current setup has never had any issues with heating, etc. When I bought the case I had it configured so the rear fans were added (optional with this case).

E

Soldato
Thanks guys. Final question, when would be the best time to buy the 1080ti?

The best time to buy any recent nvidia xx80ti card has generally been on release!.... So you may be a little late (this is from the point of view of having the most time to take advantage of the performance before the next generation comes out).....

Second to this the next best option is a potentially (very) small window when the next gen competing cards come out and some retailers (including ocuk) have been known to have some good stock clearance prices on the previous generation cards....

I am not normally an advocate of the 'wait for the next big thing' game in tech.... But I would actually currently suggest waiting a week or so to see if nvidia announce anything relevant at Ces....

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ces-2018.html

The OC Asus card has slightly higher clocks out of the box then the non OC variant.... For the sake of £40 I would probably go for the OC variant.... (which I actually already own....)

Associate
OP
Yeah, I just replied to another thread in regards to the Press Conference. I am going to wait til after the conference on whether to buy or not. In the case I do buy one, there shouldn't be any issues with my case/mobo?

Associate
OP
Ok, I am biting the bullet and taking the plunge. This is what I am going with:

- ASUS Intel 1151 Socket Z370 Chipset Prime P ATX Motherboard (Currently ASUS Z170M-Plus Intel Z170 DDR4 Micro ATX)
- ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix OC 11GB GDDR5X Graphics Card (Currently ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti Gaming Graphics Card)
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7 8700 3.2GHz Socket LGA1151 Coffee Lake Processor - Retail //Don't need a "K" version as I won't be overclocking (Currently Intel Core i5-6600K LGA1151)

My case will remain the same - "Temjin TJ08B-E"

As well as my PSU - "EVGA Supernova P2 750W '80 Plus Platinum"

Does anyone have any suggestions to the above setup?

E

Soldato
Ok, I am biting the bullet and taking the plunge. This is what I am going with:

- ASUS Intel 1151 Socket Z370 Chipset Prime P ATX Motherboard (Currently ASUS Z170M-Plus Intel Z170 DDR4 Micro ATX)
- ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix OC 11GB GDDR5X Graphics Card (Currently ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti Gaming Graphics Card)
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7 8700 3.2GHz Socket LGA1151 Coffee Lake Processor - Retail //Don't need a "K" version as I won't be overclocking (Currently Intel Core i5-6600K LGA1151)

My case will remain the same - "Temjin TJ08B-E"

As well as my PSU - "EVGA Supernova P2 750W '80 Plus Platinum"

Does anyone have any suggestions to the above setup?

E

I will be honest, I don't see a need for you to move to a new platform. For 60hz gaming, the 6600k, more so given a mild overclock will be more then able to manage. Usually it will be the GPU at 4k. Also if you have a half decent board for that 6600k, should be able to overclock it to beyond 8700 clocks which most game will favor.

Your PSU is fine though.

Associate
OP
Right, so you are saying keep the CPU/MOBO but only upgrade the GPU? This was my initial decision. I guess I can do a mild overclock of around 20%... I currently have the "Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure Edition" CPU Cooler and the "ASUS Z170M-Plus Intel Z170 DDR4 Micro ATX" MOBO, can I safely overclock my CPU to about 3.8ghz-4.2ghz while also keeping the temps relatively low?

Soldato
Right, so you are saying keep the CPU/MOBO but only upgrade the GPU? This was my initial decision. I guess I can do a mild overclock of around 20%... I currently have the "Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure Edition" CPU Cooler and the "ASUS Z170M-Plus Intel Z170 DDR4 Micro ATX" MOBO, can I safely overclock my CPU to about 3.8ghz-4.2ghz while also keeping the temps relatively low?

Yup pretty much, keep your current CPU and Mobo. the 6600k and 8700 at like for like clocks have a very similar per core performance, and 60 hz is fine for either CPU to hit (bar a few situations) 4.2 GHz is pretty easy for the 6600k to hit on all 4 cores and should be fine temps wise (based on voltages) with that cooler, though as I say, bar a few titles, 60hz even at stock the is fine for the CPU, usually it will be the GPU holding back performance at 4k 60hz.

Associate
OP
Ok, thanks a lot. Really appreciate it. In the instances where I might need to drop to 1440p, this shouldn't be an issue for my CPU should it?

Soldato
Ok, thanks a lot. Really appreciate it. In the instances where I might need to drop to 1440p, this shouldn't be an issue for my CPU should it?

Nope. When your talking about driving a particular refresh rate, so 60hz, the CPU use remains broadly similar. Where CPU load goes up as a % is when you try to drive a higher refresh rate (CPU needs to prepare more frames to deliver to the GPU) so this could be with a higher refresh rate panel, or if you drop the resolution so low and the GPU can churn out 100's of frames (so at these points people may say your CPU bound) In real use not really an issue however, more so at 60hz and the 6600k is one of the better gaming CPU's around, more so when given an overclock.

Associate
OP
Nope. When your talking about driving a particular refresh rate, so 60hz, the CPU use remains broadly similar. Where CPU load goes up as a % is when you try to drive a higher refresh rate (CPU needs to prepare more frames to deliver to the GPU) so this could be with a higher refresh rate panel, or if you drop the resolution so low and the GPU can churn out 100's of frames (so at these points people may say your CPU bound) In real use not really an issue however, more so at 60hz and the 6600k is one of the better gaming CPU's around, more so when given an overclock.

Fantastic! I just bought the ASUS STRIX 1080ti OC (found it £30 cheaper as well) which will arrive tomorrow. I will OC my CPU by 20% to give it that extra push as well.

I will try to sell my 980ti on eBay in the hopes that I can get some money for it.

Back
Top Bottom