Spec me - £20k genuinely sporty.

Soldato
I tried... they told me it was mandatory... maybe it was German rule

It's priced separately and two different codes on the system.

Look on their website, they even advertise it as a 'separately optional' service.

Porsche said:
Please note: The advertised price of a Porsche Approved Pre-Owned Car may include the cost of an optional Porsche Approved Warranty insurance product and/or a separately optional Porsche Assistance insurance product. Please speak to your PorscheCentre for further details.

Soldato
As I said, I was forced to buy it or not be allowed to buy warranty at all...

In the same way my OPC told me I had to buy 4 new tyres as mine were below the limit (they actually all had between 4.5mm and 5.5mm of tread). It's an extra sale and commission for them, maybe even the policy for that OPC to do everything possible to push the breakdown cover numbers.

Soldato
I don't see why a warranty would require breakdown cover. Same with tyres really. MOTs keeps an eye on tyres, not warranties.

Nothing but a rip-off tbh.

I liked how Ford do it. If you get the car serviced at Ford while having a warranty, they just give you breakdown cover.

Soldato
OP
Trip report.

The Porsche was lovely. Very good spec. Very good dealer.

My heart wasn't in it and the notion of all that cash for very little change suddenly dawned on me.

Both my head and my heart need to be in a daily driver car (as silly as that sounds) and I just don't think I am in the right place to be making quick decisions so I think I am going to go back to the drawing board.

Soldato
yeah not exactly worlds away from each other. id like a porsche, but only as a second car not a daily. assume it was a 987.2 and about 25k or so?

Why not as a daily? Porsche are better built and more durable than many of the cars people use daily :)

Too precious and whilst I consider myself hard core, I don't think I could daily drive an Elise.

I did actually consider it for a while. But the thought of driving it through winter put me off and any dings etc to the fiber glass body are mega expensive to repair. I ended up buying a GT86 for my daily, which is actually a surprisingly comfortable car :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Or something newer but slightly slower... Maybe something along the lines of this?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712232256822

I think the 435i is a little out of budget considering they came out in 2014

Too heavy and not fun enough. If I had kids or something then maybe I would have to compromise to something like that, but I don't so I can edge towards more genuinely sporty.

Please don't take me saying no as any kind of insult, I genuinely really appreciate all the input to this thread everyone has had. I don't know why I couldn't get excited about the Boxster S today.

Soldato
Sounds like nothing is going to good enough for a replacement. Anything more suited to daily driving is naturally going to more boring than your current car.

Associate
Why not as a daily? Porsche are better built and more durable than many of the cars people use daily :)

I did actually consider it for a while. But the thought of driving it through winter put me off and any dings etc to the fiber glass body are mega expensive to repair. I ended up buying a GT86 for my daily, which is actually a surprisingly comfortable car :D

I think you may have partially answered your own question lol, but for me a sports car isnt practical enough for everyday use. Can you imagine going to the tip in a 911, really? The other thing is that adding big miles massively kills the resale value of porsche's; much more than other cars from what ive seen. That and as youve put above, the likely car park dings, winter crap on the roads etc etc. Good enough reasons for me!

The only exception would be if I had one as a lease vehicle or something, but even then id need a second vehicle which is more practical.

Associate
Too heavy and not fun enough. If I had kids or something then maybe I would have to compromise to something like that, but I don't so I can edge towards more genuinely sporty.

Please don't take me saying no as any kind of insult, I genuinely really appreciate all the input to this thread everyone has had. I don't know why I couldn't get excited about the Boxster S today.

I know its slightly out of budget, but why not try a 2.7 981? Its certainly better looking than the 987, better tech for everyday use and looks more premium than the previous gen. Interior wise they are worlds apart, and the 981 just feels much nicer.

Back
Top Bottom