Headphone or portable speaker upgrade - *all working now*

Soldato
OP
Next idea, bring up Wharfedale diamond 10.0 speakers from setup downstairs for PC and replace them with floor standers :D

ok, that's quite a pricey idea!! haha

Quite like the look of the Dali Spektor 1's. Little bit more compact

Last edited:
Soldato
Could get some floor standing speakers and use the 10.0's for your PC, but yes, it's a pricey idea. :p

Depends on what you'd be looking to spend. Unless you'd be looking at some with a good discount, cheap floor standing speakers aren't going to be as good as similarly priced, or even cheaper bookshelf/standmount speakers. Without any discount, £400-£500 buys a decent pair of floor standing speakers.

DALI Spektor's look nice, but not sure why you'd be looking at those if you're concerned about the QA 3020 bass. Spektor 1's are marginally smaller. Otherwise, they look like a good option if smaller is preferred.

Soldato
OP
well two disapointments today

1st Amazon have decided they've run out of stock of the headphones, so I'm not getting those till sometime, maybe never.....?

2nd put all the speakers up, DAC/amp etc... and nothing works, grrrrrrrrrrrrr, no sound!

Soldato
OP
Little help please, I've disabled all but the optical out on my motherboard. There's red light out the optical. DAC set to optical IN. All I get it louder hiss as I turn the volume up
I've checked the audio out and that's not higher than the DAC can accept.
Updated to latest audio drivers
I assume any optical cable is ok, I'm using an old QED one I don't use on my TV anymore.

Any other pointers? Thought I'd just plug in and it would work, doh!

Soldato
Spec won't have changed. Still could be the cable, but age shouldn't mean it's deteriorated in any way. I've got a cheap one that's 14 years old that still works fine.

Getting a new cable is the next to do, even if there's nothing wrong with the one you have; unless you have something else you can try that to confirm whether the issues lies with that or elsewhere. Nothing fancy as long as it works.

If it's not a cable issue it could be a fault with the DAC itself, but you can't determine that without knowing if the cable works for certain.

Edit:

Have you anything else you can try the DAC with, like a DVD or BD player with optical output; or even a TV?

If you can, and still get nothing, then it's either the cable or a fault.

Soldato
OP
I can borrow the kids bluray player tomorrow and try that with the DAC
New cable tomorrow to try as well.
Can try coax out the bluray player to DAC as well

Soldato
OP
Optical on sky box does nothing, but could be cable still because the signal indicator doesn't come on with optical plugged in.
So tried COAX out of sky box and it makes a noise, just its an awful noise! a clicking/clacking noise. But the signal indicator does come on.

Guess this DAC is dead. Not bad for brand new out the box!

Soldato
OP
New optical cable works. Lots more red light coming out the end.
Perhaps my sky box is giving out a bad COAX signal, which is why it was giving out that awful noise.
Or the COAX side of amp is bad.
The coax cable is good as I use it on something else

Not sure, but optical works and these DALI's are quite loud for my bedroom! Sweet!

Back
Top Bottom