Do I have the right setup - positional audio for FPS

Associate
My audio setup for FPS gaming is as follows:

Onboard sound > optical out to Yamaha RX-V373 AV amp (set to Stereo with no processing) > JVC HA-RX900 headphones
Mic is via onboard analogue connection.

When playing PUBG, I get positional audio that is fairly good (no virtual surround, Windows Sonic or Atmos enabled). But it seems its not as good as other people where I sometimes struggle to pinpoint gunshots whereas other players can hear mine instantly and react accordingly.

I realise PUBG audio isn't the best, but people do seem to be able to hammer kills by reaction to audio position much quicker than myself.

So essentially - is my setup OK? Do I need different headphones? Do I need a soundcard? (I don't believe I do due to optical out with the amp DAC's doing the work). I just want to ensure my current kit is fully optimised or know whether I need to change something. Thanks.

Soldato
I've been struggling with positional audio in PUBG. I'm using Steelseries Elite Prism (picked them up cheap). Not sure if it's the headphones or the game but I find it almost in possible to figure out where shots are coming from. I rotate by a degree or 2 and the shots go from being in the hard right cup to the left.

I was thinking of getting some Hyper X headphones but again, if it's the game there's not much point.

Associate
OP
I've been struggling with positional audio in PUBG. I'm using Steelseries Elite Prism (picked them up cheap). Not sure if it's the headphones or the game but I find it almost in possible to figure out where shots are coming from. I rotate by a degree or 2 and the shots go from being in the hard right cup to the left.

I was thinking of getting some Hyper X headphones but again, if it's the game there's not much point.

My audio is not as bad as yours as I can pinpoint the sounds, even height by just using stereo and letting my head work out where things are. But its not as good as it should be. Are you plugging the headphones into the soundcard?

Soldato
My audio is not as bad as yours as I can pinpoint the sounds, even height by just using stereo and letting my head work out where things are. But its not as good as it should be. Are you plugging the headphones into the soundcard?

I'm using the USB soundcard which comes with the headphones. I could try using onboard I suppose.

Associate
OP
Best positional gaming sound would if you could get 4 or 5.1 speakers, you already have a AVR

If I moved my PC next to my AV setup (Denon AVR with Atmos etc.) then I would have great surround sound, but that move isn't viable. Also I can't setup 5.1 speakers due to where my desk is. And gaming at night over speakers with children = no from her indoors. I'm in a 10.5m x 4m loft conversion room with my media setup at one end and two desks in the opposite end (mine and the wife's) so no space behind me for the rears. I have tried 5.1 in previous setups on the PC but it was hit and miss for gaming.

I could test it by streaming the game to my Shield TV and plugging in a keyboard and mouse, but again its playing after hours where the volume has to be down.

Has to be headphones!

Associate
Currently running Soundblaster AE-5 and AKG712's, seems darn good to me. For gaming I really do like how the BlasterX Accoustic Engine functions, forget the scout function though.

Back
Top Bottom