Are they any Fractal Design reps on OCUK?

Soldato
OP
Not much to say, just replaced some R2 series fans in my define R4 with some R3 series fans, and the cables are 15cm(50cm vs 35cm) shorter and don't reach my motherboard connectors. It's not the biggest deal, i've hooked them up to the fan controller in the case instead(push enough air set at 5v), but it was an oversight on my part becase i would have preferred them hooked up to the motherboard(using voltage control). Visually and performance wise they are pretty much like for like, but i honestly prefer the sleeving and extra length of the R2s and naively expected the same from the R3s(it's on me for not nitpicking and reading more closely).

My fault is assuming it was a like for like change(one series along), i didn't anticipate the cables not reaching(being shorter) and it's a little ironic that fractal branded fans can't reach across a fractal branded case for the motherboard headers.

Minor inconvenience and unintended cost, i'll sort it out with some extensions, but honestly, why Fractal? Was that tiny amount of extra wire a huge cost saver?

Soldato
OP
Fractal aren't a budget brand(pretty much all of their products speak to that), there are many other brands that fill that slot very deservedly. IMPO.

Man of Honour
they are a budget brand.

I'm curious as to how you've come to this conclusion. Fractal don't seem to be less expensive or of a lesser quality than other brands. I'm sure you can show me examples where this may be the case, but I'd argue you could do the same with other manufacturers, so to say they're a "budget brand" when there's no overarching obvious evidence strikes me as odd. Have you had a particularly bad experience with them to make you say this? They have a range of products to suit different budgets, as do many manufacturers. If they only produced low end cheap products I'd understand, but that just isn't the case.

Minor inconvenience and unintended cost, i'll sort it out with some extensions, but honestly, why Fractal? Was that tiny amount of extra wire a huge cost saver?

@t31os - raise a support ticket on their website, I had a great experience with them recently when I bought a AIO cooler but it didn't come with AM4 fittings for my Ryzen system. It was my mistake, I had simply assumed it would come with it but as it was a product designed before AM4 existed it didn't. They were really good and shipped one out to me free of charge, and from my searches I can see that I'm not the only one that had the same service. I was really happy with it all. Let us know how you get on.

Soldato
OP
I imagine i'll have worked around my issue by the time i get any response from Fractal(aside the existing workaround), realistically, but i'll hit them up within the week and see what they say.

EDIT: Submitted a support ticket to Fractal, i'll keep an eye on my email and report back what they say.

EDIT 2:

Response from Fractal:
I am sorry but we don't produce any cable extenders and therefore we don't have any extenders we can give away.

If you have any further questions you are most welcome back.

I guess they can't help that, i'll grab a couple of cheapo sleeved ones in the near future.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom