Out of Use

Soldato
So basically I'm going to be away for the next 6 months or so, and I have a full loop CPU/GPU, 360 + 120mm rads... Do I drain the system before leaving? Leave it dry? Fill with distilled water/other fluid? Leave the current intact? Surprisingly I've not seen this question asked before (may have simply overlooked it).
I'm a little hesitant to leave it filled in case a leak occurs or something while I'm gone - but similarly I'm hesitant to leave it all open to the air in case of corrosion or something? :/

Soldato
Personally I'd leave it, Unless you thing it will get moved/knocked or whatever

Leaving it open/empty I don't think will harm it if providing it's dry

Soldato
If it has dye in the fluid I would drain and flush so that there is no settling and staining of the tubing.
If is just clear coolant or coloured tubing I'd just leave it sat off.
in the unlikely event of a leak with no power running through the system a clean down of any affected components should suffice. But I'd think it highly unlikely it would spring a leak while sat doing nothing. Though a seal could give out I suppose.

Associate
I think it would be far safer to leave it full. Although there is some danger in leaving it full, I think there is more danger if you drain it and flush it. Any water trapped inside ( the pump for example ) may take a very long time to get out, so there would be a real danger of bacterial or fungal growth. So I would leave it full and maybe rinse and replace when you get back.

Soldato
Id leave it. I think draining it would be worse unless you strip and dry everything. I cant really explain why, but leaving wet things exposed to air just seams much much worse than leaving them submerged in water to me.

Back
Top Bottom