Upgrade or replace (2012 machine)

Associate
Hi folks, I'm hoping there's some knowledgeable folks out there that can help me out. I'm fairly computer savvy but I'm a little bit out of the loop with current tech, I tend to research the hell out of it every time I'm due a new PC and then have a few years off until the cycle starts again!

The last machine I got was back in 2012 and while it was fairly decent at the time it was by no means top of the range. My main gaming interest is FPS as everything else I tend to go via the Xbox, but I've played FPS for so many years on PCs that trying to use a joypad on a console is horrific!

I've no desire for a machine that is cutting edge, I'd just like to be able to play some of the best FPS from the last 4 or 5 years at a reasonable level of detail.

Given the age of my machine I was assuming it was passed the point at which upgrading would be viable, but now I'm not so sure. From what I can tell processor tech hasn't improved dramatically in that time and it may be that a simple GPU upgrade would give me what I need.

My current spec is an i5-2400 (running stock at 3.1ghz) with 8gb RAM and a Radeon 6700. I recognise that the graphics card is a massive bottleneck, it wasn't the greatest card when I specced it but I needed to save costs somewhere and that was it, it sufficed at the time but obviously is no good for any modern games.

Do you think a simple graphics card upgrade would enable me to play games from say 2012-2017 at a reasonable level? Is the processor still able to hack it, still enough RAM? I'm also not sure what my options are graphics wise, my motherboard is an Asus PH-61-M, will this restrict me in anyway? The PSU is a Corsair CX500 (75-001667), are modern cards likely to put too much of a strain on this or are they all more power efficient these days?

I started speccing up a new system but it's looking like even a midrange machine is going to be in the order of £600-800, whereas if a simple graphics upgrade at £100-150 would get me decent results I'd rather go that route.

Associate
3.1Ghz Sandybridge is pretty brutal by modern standards. I really would upgrade the whole machine. You have enough RAM, but the rest of the system sucks too much (IMO) to bother with a GPU upgrade. If you had an overclocked 2600K then sure, it's fine... but 3.1Ghz... On that architecture... no.

Man of Honour
i agree with @mistersprinkles , with one caveat, if you're going to upgrade, set a budget first, spec up your new computer, then buy the gpu first
see if you find the performance in your current rig acceptable.
if you do, then you've saved some money for a future upgrade, if not, only then upgrade the full computer (with the gpu already bought)

Soldato
They are really at end of life now and a GPU upgrade would help but you will run into CPU issues quickly.

You could always grab yourself a 1050ti(around £150) or 1060 3gb(around £200) and see what you can get away with. These would be the cards you are looking at should you upgrade anyway so it is possible to do it in 2 stages to soften the blow.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies folks. Not unexpectedly it sounds as though I might still struggle, but bear in mind I'm not after anything cutting edge. I've had two kids since I got the machine in 2012 so gaming has been on the back burner, basically I've got 5 years worth of 'old' games to catch up on! With said kids still being young this is likely to take me some time, so I won't be bothered about picking up current releases for a while, by which point it'll be another couple of years down the line and I'll bite the bullet and get a whole new rig. Essentially I just need a machine that can play stuff released in the last 5 years.

If I plump for an upgrade to a 1050ti, looks like they're around the £150 mark, am I likely to run into problems with my PSU do you think? It's a 500w unit but do I need to check the rail voltages as well? Like was said above, worst case I end up with a new build anyway that I can just drop the graphics card into.

Man of Honour
If you're looking to get a new 1050ti, I suggest a second hand 970 instead...it's much more powerful for not much more money. Look to get an evga card due to the guest warranty. The cx500 you have should be up to the task of powering either.

Associate
Thanks for all the replies folks. Not unexpectedly it sounds as though I might still struggle, but bear in mind I'm not after anything cutting edge. I've had two kids since I got the machine in 2012 so gaming has been on the back burner, basically I've got 5 years worth of 'old' games to catch up on! With said kids still being young this is likely to take me some time, so I won't be bothered about picking up current releases for a while, by which point it'll be another couple of years down the line and I'll bite the bullet and get a whole new rig. Essentially I just need a machine that can play stuff released in the last 5 years.

If I plump for an upgrade to a 1050ti, looks like they're around the £150 mark, am I likely to run into problems with my PSU do you think? It's a 500w unit but do I need to check the rail voltages as well? Like was said above, worst case I end up with a new build anyway that I can just drop the graphics card into.

1050Ti is a very low power card. Some of them don't even require additional PCIE power connections.

Soldato
As above a 1050ti is not going to stress anything but the weakest PSU.

The second hand 970 isnt a bad shout as it is stronger but might stretch your PSU at that age. Ive seen 970s for sale locally for less than a new 1050ti but that was before the crypto boom GPU price inflation.

Man of Honour
Corsair CX500
970 isnt a bad shout as it is stronger but might stretch your PSU at that age.
Total system draw in a non overclocked computer with a 970 is what 250-270w, sub 300w at worst?
The cx500 has 456w on its 12v rails. Should be okay.
Voltage regulation and ripple may suffer due to the psu's age, but that's true for 100% of PSUs out there, good ones included.

Back
Top Bottom