Google I/O 2018/Android P

Soldato
We've only just had Oreo haven't we?!

I wish, still running Nougat on my note 8 with no sign of Oreo bieng pushed out. This is on an unlocked, sim free direct phone from samsung.
It's the one thing I dislike about Android over Apple. At least with Apple the new OS was launched at the same time for everyone.

Permabanned
I wish, still running Nougat on my note 8 with no sign of Oreo bieng pushed out. This is on an unlocked, sim free direct phone from samsung.
It's the one thing I dislike about Android over Apple. At least with Apple the new OS was launched at the same time for everyone.

I'm still on Marshmallow on my LGE Moto E 2nd gen haha. Due to upgrade soon.

Soldato
What parts of Oreo are you missing the most? I've got it on my HTC U11 and I can't say it's made a single difference to how I'm using my phone.

Soldato

Purely Samsung's problem?

Caporegime
Whatever version the s7E is on is what I use. Never been bothered by version updates. In fact I usually reject the update as usually I find it costs performance.

But I seem to be in the minority on the forum for not being fussed by updates

Soldato
What parts of Oreo are you missing the most? I've got it on my HTC U11 and I can't say it's made a single difference to how I'm using my phone.
I have it on my U11 aswell and there are two fairly big improvements imo:
PiP with google maps when navigating / making calls etc is nice
Being able to access the alarm clock from the notification pulldown (just like with vanilla android) is great too
Also there seems to be an improvement to battery drain but I've not really tested that extensively

Soldato
I have it on my U11 aswell and there are two fairly big improvements imo:
PiP with google maps when navigating / making calls etc is nice
Being able to access the alarm clock from the notification pulldown (just like with vanilla android) is great too
Also there seems to be an improvement to battery drain but I've not really tested that extensively
Battery life seems better on my U11, agreed! Really happy with it and glad HTC delayed it a bit to get it right.

Interesting the other parts of Oreo you miss - I've asked this question often with Android and never got tangible answers why people want the latest version but your examples are good ones! :)

Soldato

Well, there is a sign. You know it's coming, samsung said so. You may also know that the beta period has finished for the s8/s8+ and we are expecting the release firmware any day now. Originally the note 8 was released 5 months after the S8 but really nobody's expecting the note 8 oreo firmware to be that far behind.

I wouldnt worry too much about it though. the maps PIP mentioned above is nice but it's not something I can make use of personally - either i'm using the phone normally or I'm navigating, it's never really both. Video PIP works as well, as long as im playing a video in chrome and i minimise that, but again..not much use for it in my case but that's just me personally. IF the last beta oreo firmware is anything to go by, it's mostly tweaks and tightening of existing features under a somewhat more uniform UX. Which is great, but nothing revolutionary. Oh also i should add the notifications are frankly confusing now, if i have more than 3 or 4 notification then when i get a new one it doesnt show up on my lock because other notifications are more important...eurgh i need to sort that out, just havent had a change to sit down and mess with it. Nougat was much simpler lol

It's security updates i'm really interested in and to be fair Samsung havent been entirely on the ball but they are still a million times better than most of the junk you get from china.

Last edited:
Soldato
Regarding the oreo update on my oneplus 5, the improvements are the new themed media controls that match the content, I really like that. The Bluetooth icon now has a battery icon next to it to show how much juice is left on your BT device, and Oreo now let's you restrict background activity of apps more easily. Oreo has improved my battery life noticeably.

Permabanned
OP
Bloomberg:
Google's Next Android Overhaul Will Embrace iPhone’s ‘Notch’

A few interesting comments from this article:

1. Android P is expected to "more tightly integrate Google’s digital assistant, improve battery life on phones and support new designs, like multiple screens and foldable displays."

2. By improving the software, Google hopes to sway more iPhone users to switch to Android.

3. The "notch" or cutout at the top of the screen can incorporate more sensors and cameras.

4. Internally, the P in Android P stands for Pistachio Ice cream! May not be the public name however.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...roid-overhaul-is-said-to-embrace-iphone-notch

Permabanned
OP
Bloomberg:
Google's Next Android Overhaul Will Embrace iPhone’s ‘Notch’

A few interesting comments from this article:

1. Android P is expected to "more tightly integrate Google’s digital assistant, improve battery life on phones and support new designs, like multiple screens and foldable displays."

2. By improving the software, Google hopes to sway more iPhone users to switch to Android.

3. The "notch" or cutout at the top of the screen can incorporate more sensors and cameras.

4. Internally, the P in Android P stands for Pistachio Ice cream! May not be the public name however.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...roid-overhaul-is-said-to-embrace-iphone-notch

The Verge also reports that support for different form factors of Android devices could include features like multiple screens (like the ZTE Axon M) and foldable displays (which Samsung is rumoured to be working on in 2018).

They indicate the likelihood that Google will announce Android P with a developer preview sometime in March, with a more formal unveiling at I/O in early May. As Pixel owners we will get Android P quickly.

I do hope Google continues to address fragmentation to allow Android P (and even Android O) to get on more devices quicker.

Back
Top Bottom