• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Seeing ppl still buying a lot of the new cards, but why when...

Associate
I just had to buy a new card to replace my fury which started having memory issues.
There is no way in hell i would buy second hand. Not interested ... i want a new item, sealed box ... anything less it goes back with a snottogram. and no way would i be buying from ebay.

Soldato
I’m the opposite, I have had chances to buy new stuff, but I don’t bother and buy 2nd hand depending on what it is, don’t usually have much issue, but then I’ve not spent more than a 100 quid on a single item.

I have never been one to care for warranty, I stick with the standard issue, people have their personal preference how they go about things. I think I would buy a new 1030 or 1050 for example just because regardless of model, some I’ve seen from private sellers have just not been cheap enough to warrant used, but you can get some real bargains.

Associate
I’m the opposite, I have had chances to buy new stuff, but I don’t bother and buy 2nd hand depending on what it is, don’t usually have much issue, but then I’ve not spent more than a 100 quid on a single item.

I think the issue of contention is there in bold. OP was talking about rather much more hefty items, so minimum of £200 if not more second hand most of the time. If I was going for budget, make no mistake, I'd be going via the bay or other second hand sources at that point too. But I'm not after a budget card, but a mid to high card, and at that point, the life expectancy of the card comes into question and Warranty is everything at that point due to cost involved.

Associate

I have never been one to care for warranty, I stick with the standard issue, people have their personal preference how they go about things. I think I would buy a new 1030 or 1050 for example just because regardless of model, some I’ve seen from private sellers have just not been cheap enough to warrant used, but you can get some real bargains.

Totally different to spending over £600, you want to be guaranteed a high quality product, along with great warranty.

Associate
I picked up a 1050ti sold my 1080ti last month as I hardly game to be honest, looking to pick up a gtx 1080 non Ti just to be at a happy medium with the rest of the build

Oh I picked up the custom 4gb 1050ti for £100 locally im pretty certain I can get my money back on it too

Soldato
"Reputable" Ebay sellers of GPU's are hard to find. What with the fake 0 rating 0 day history scam buyers, money laundering thieves, the hacked accounts with 500+ ratings selling 1080ti's for £79.95 etc etc. Ebay can be the most wretched hive of scum and villainy ever but then again it can be a place to find such wonderous gems. You pays your money you takes your choice.

Soldato
On the subject of warranty, if I've not registered the card is there eventually a point at which it's too late to register the warranty on a product? I haven't registered by GTX1080 which certainly won't be getting mined on!

Soldato
Seems to be a common thought, as my cards on ebay have had a pitiful amount of views, it seems the demand on ebay is rock bottom. There was much more ebay demand when I sold my 970 and 760 years back.

Associate
Warranty.

Also you can't be sure if used cards haven't been used for mining non-stop, that can affect their reliability, and some (most) of them have been flashed with modified BIOS, some sellers will even lie and say they haven't been used for mining. :rolleyes:

For current (and some of the previous) gen cards, used and new costs are about the same, not a really hard choice to make.

I agree with this. You never know where a used card has been or how it has been treated. There are absolutely no guarantees with ebay. People often think that warranties on graphics cards are transferable, but actually, mostly, they aren't.

Associate
On the subject of warranty, if I've not registered the card is there eventually a point at which it's too late to register the warranty on a product? I haven't registered by GTX1080 which certainly won't be getting mined on!

Possibly.

EVGA are now making people register their products with them before even taking a look at their RMA cases.

Back
Top Bottom