Evocative sounds

Soldato
evening all - so, was at the pub with the wife and little one. He was engrossed in a peppa pig magazine and I was quietly making my way through a lovely pint of local brew when the wife and I started talking about happiness and what’s sparks it off.

It just got me thinking about particular sounds that evoke happiness in us either due to a fond memory or an experience that left us content.

For me, I decided it was the sound of thunder and the softness of the rain on a summers evening - no other sounds, no cars, kids, planes - just the light rain, distant thunder and a warm evening in the country.

What about you guys? This crap weather has got me all emotional (it’s not the beer - I had two pints of 4% abv ha!)

Soldato
OP
Silence, like the silence at night in the village I grew up in. Complete silence, not a single noise, the noise a dead man hears.

I know what you mean actually - first girl I fell in love with lived in a house in a quiet village. I remember sneaking out of her bedroom window into a completely silent night after a night of ‘enjoyment’ together. Oh to be 16 again and running away into the night a bit drunk and very happy.

Man of Honour
The sound of the pilot signals at the beginning of a ZX Spectrum game always makes me smile. Obviously pure nostalgia. I did 180 hours of hard work on a farm to buy my ZX Spectrum 48K and thought it well worth the labour. It was a wonder to my 13 year old self. Colour! Sound! Graphics! Wow, amazing! The very distinctive sound of the pilot signals brings a reminder of that wonder from the past.

Without the nostalgia aspect, I think that the vocal section from "Ode To Joy" comes in top for me, right from the bass/baritone opening up with "O Freunde". The music too, but I really enjoy listening to fine singing and that's top of my list. The passionate joy, the use of the full range of human voice, the unity of it. The soloists together, the choral sections (again using the full range of human voice), the universal sentiment of it. Well, apart from the reference to a paternal monotheistic deity. The rest, though, is for everyone.

Man of Honour
I know what you mean actually - first girl I fell in love with lived in a house in a quiet village. I remember sneaking out of her bedroom window into a completely silent night after a night of ‘enjoyment’ together. Oh to be 16 again and running away into the night a bit drunk and very happy.

I had something similar to that, but it didn’t involve a quiet village.
When we were 17 or 18, me and a friend went to a cinema in Mile End, East London, where we “pulled” a couple of 16 y.o. girls.
One of them said, “We can go back to my place, there’s only me and my dad, and he’s on nights in Ford’s, at Dagenham.”
We went there, my pal in the lounge, me in the kitchen, and the fun began.
At around 1.00 a.m., a car door slammed, and a key went in the door lock, there’d been a wildcat strike, and her dad had come home early.
Pausing only to grab our trousers and shirts, we asked for the door number, to come back next day for our shoes and socks, and climbed over the back fence, and walked to Burdett Road, where we hailed a Black Cab, and went through Rotherhithe Tunnel home.
The driver noticed us limping and grimacing, and guessed what had happened, he cracked up laughing.
Fortunately this was years and years ago, and the fare only went about £3.00

Back
Top Bottom