50m Cat 6 Cable?

Soldato
Hello All,

I'm after approx 50m of Cat 6 cable. I'm going to Network a house and assume I might as well put in Cat 6 as apposed to Cat 5e for future proofing, firstly is that a good idea? I know it's stiffer and harder to work with but it shouldn't be too difficult to put in this particular house.

Overcloskers don't stock 50m so I assume its OK for people to posts suggestions, if not advice on the type and name would be appreciated.

It's to connect ~4 PC's over 3 floors, streaming large films and moving files between the PC's and smart TV's etc.

Any advice appreciated as I don't mind admitting I'm a complete novice when it comes to Networks.

Cheers,

Soldato
You'll want solid core cable. Don't get tempted into buying complete cables and chopping the ends off as they're usually made using stranded cable.

The difference between Cat5e or Cat6 is marginal. Either would work for this.

50m is a very short length of cable you may end up having to buy a longer length. Luckily it isn't expensive and you're better off running two (or more) cables to each location anyway.

If you search you'll find many posts similar to this that'll tell you everything you'd ever need to know.

Soldato
OP
Don
Not a daft question at all :) patch panel is just a tidy way of terminating the other end of the cable.

So wall port 1 would go to patch panel port 1.

You would have your router, then into a switch and from the switch into the patch panel.

Patch panel isn't a powered bit of kit. It is literally 24x non connected ports that you wire in to the wall ports.

If you don't quite get it, I'll explain better..

Soldato
If you're only running a few cables you can do without a patch panel and put faceplates on both ends of the cable. Do whatever suits your situation best.

Soldato
What's the best way to put 8 ports in a drywall? Two four way faceplates next to each other on regular drywall back boxes?
I'm not clear how you'd mount a 8 port patch panel in a 100mm stud drywall.

Soldato
OP
Think I'll try and put two cables to each room (in case one fails) and have a wallplate to a switch, switch to HTPC, XBOX, Smart TV and whatever else the future may bring! Some rooms only need one connection so that'll be well plate straight to device...thanks for the input, especially the links...

So set up will be:

Router = Switch = Wall Plates, then distributed to device

Think that'll be ok for my needs? (small Home Network)

Associate
This convo is getting a little silly. Run ONE cable to each room and run it into one faceplate (so 1 ethernet jack per room) and if you need multiple outlets in that room just get a cheap (literally 15 squids for a 5 port) unmanaged switch. It'll ultimately be cheaper to use dinky cheapo switches as needed vs running multiple long solid core high end CAT 6 cables. Patch panels are just silly for this usage case. You're not a SoHo, you're just a guy who wants home ethernet. It's pretty simple, really. Modem>Router------>multiple lenghts of cable to various rooms>faceplate that goes on the wall---->Device and/or device(s) using switches as needed.

Soldato
OP
This convo is getting a little silly. Run ONE cable to each room and run it into one faceplate (so 1 ethernet jack per room) and if you need multiple outlets in that room just get a cheap (literally 15 squids for a 5 port) unmanaged switch. It'll ultimately be cheaper to use dinky cheapo switches as needed vs running multiple long solid core high end CAT 6 cables. Patch panels are just silly for this usage case. You're not a SoHo, you're just a guy who wants home ethernet. It's pretty simple, really. Modem>Router------>multiple lenghts of cable to various rooms>faceplate that goes on the wall---->Device and/or device(s) using switches as needed.

Seems reasonable, but I'll feed two cables to each room just in case (it'll be easy to do now and a right pain to put another cable in at later date if one fails)

Soldato
Yeah why have 2-4 dedicated 1gb links in a room when you can have up to 5 devices on a switch all sharing that bandwidth down one up link...

Soldato
Cable is cheap and it's almost as easy to pull multiple cables as it is a single.

You aren't going to want to hang a switch off the end of every cable, it's just more clutter and another power socket required.

There are situations where having a local switch makes sense, but that doesn't mean you should only pull a single cable to every location.

There's a happy middle ground and the OP seems to have found it.

Soldato
@ssmacc Just a thought, but if you're going anywhere near power lines then you should look at Cat 6e cabling because it has extra shielding and is the preferred medium for 10G-T..

Soldato
Cat6e doesn't exist as a standard.

OP will hopefully be keeping the necessary separation (it doesn't need to be that much).

Would the OP have the necessary knowledge to properly terminate and ground shielded cable?

At the distances the OP is talking about Cat5e and Cat6 should both handle 10GBe.

Additional cost and hassle for little gain IMO.

Associate
Question on this. Is there way to skip the patch panel and neatly go straight into a large switch in the server room / utility cupboard etc?

Reason I ask is the issue with the patch panel, is you then need a bunch (say 20) of mini cables from it to the switch, which is messy + annoying. I see this way makes it easier to change the hardware etc, but if you doing a custom built new build I was just wondering.

Soldato
You can crimp plugs onto the cable ends. Not a first preferred option, but it'll work.

You'd need a suitable crimp tool, plugs rated for the cable, and a small amount of skill.

Soldato
Cat6e doesn't exist as a standard.

OP will hopefully be keeping the necessary separation (it doesn't need to be that much).

Would the OP have the necessary knowledge to properly terminate and ground shielded cable?

At the distances the OP is talking about Cat5e and Cat6 should both handle 10GBe.

Additional cost and hassle for little gain IMO.

The correct cabling for a 100m run of 10GbE is Cat 6a not Cat 6, however Cat 5e should work upto ~40m runs.

Back
Top Bottom