Car Viewing

Associate
~5k miles a year, stick to petrol. Not ideal for diesel at all and could just lead to premature problems with the particulate filter.

with the way people are moving away from diesels, you possibly get more for your money compared to petrol, but equally the resell value will arguably be less...

is there a Fabia 1.4 tsi for a similar price?

Soldato
Problem is with used cars you can have one which looks pristine, but is hiding loads of issues. Then one which has slightly tatty paint/bodywork but has been looked after mechanically. One is quite cheap to fix, the other isn't.

Ain't that the truth. And with cars getting ever more complex, it's going to be even harder for most people to spot issues during a test drive.

Soldato
I drove one of these for 6 years / 120k. 2009/2010 is the changeover year of the facelift, post-facelists have better interiors (old and facelift) and better engines I think (CEGA will be the engine code if it's the newer/better of the 2 engines iirc) and more importantly - softer suspension. It also comes with USB / aux as standard, most FR's I've seen had bluetooth (as it gave the extra screen in the dial panel). Check it's had a waterpump and belt done, it should have had shocks by now and check rotor condition, even if it's done motorway only like I did it should have had them. Check all door locks work - a common fault is that the door locks all start to fail at 6years on Leon Mk2s and it's an expensive repair each time. Check for rust on the bonnet - near the catch, on the underside as it's a common problem with age. I had the turbo go at 100k, it's a variable-geo turbo and mine got stuck - it's an expensive fix :( It was cheap to insure and I enjoyed driving it a lot.

Soldato
@SkidMarkKing

Don't think anyone's mentioned yet, but if you are looking at a VAG diesel, check if it has an EA189 engine - i think the age you're looking at means it will.

If it has, make sure it hasn't had the emissions fix, otherwise you'll be in for a world of bother no matter how appealing it looks on the forecourt.

We all get there eventually as we work out we are not F1 drivers and save money ;)

No, having the best magazine rated tyres will allow you to function like said F1 driver, so you can speed, drive too close, maybe even have worn shocks/brakes and still out brake every ditch finder tyre wielding driver on the road, no matter if they are driving at a safer speed, with better stopping distance allowance and maybe with better shocks and brakes that you ;)

Soldato
No, having the best magazine rated tyres will allow you to function like said F1 driver, so you can speed, drive too close, maybe even have worn shocks/brakes and still out brake every ditch finder tyre wielding driver on the road, no matter if they are driving at a safer speed, with better stopping distance allowance and maybe with better shocks and brakes that you ;)
:D

Back
Top Bottom