• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3930k to 4930k worth it??

Soldato
I’ve noticed 4930ks are going on eBay for less than £100 recently and wondered if the upgrade is worth it? Probably say £40 once i’ve Sold my 3930k. Are the 4930k any good at overclocking? Will it match my 3930k at 4.6? Are there any cpu features/extensions that are useful will be useful?

Thanks

Dave

Man of Honour
you get PCIE 3.0 support, and a ~5% performance uplift clock-for-clock, by going from sandy-bridge-e to ivy-bridge-e
are either of those worth it? probably not, IMO

Associate
I can only speak for myself, but for me it was worth it. My 3930k was a dud overclocker and the 4930k was running cool at low voltage when running 4.6ghz.
Also not needing to run the X79 pcie 3.0 patch after each driver install was nice.

Man of Honour
My 3930k was a dud overclocker and the 4930k was running cool at low voltage when running 4.6ghz.
indeed, depends on the #siliconlottery mostly.
OP has his SBE clocked at 4.6, so any meaningful gains with IBE would have to be 4.5+. IBE clocked at 4.4 would be a step down in performance

Associate
The only gains you would see would be PCIE 3.0 which, unless you are running a 1080Ti, would be a pretty invisible difference. Definitely not worth it.

Why don't you save those pennies and upgrade to Ryzen 2 or Ice lake when they come out?

Man of Honour
I suspect a lot will come down to how good a sample the individual CPUs are.

I've been mulling over upgrading my 4820K to one of the 6/12 4000 series or one of the Xeons but usually come back to just saving my money for a future upgrade - it isn't like my 4820K is struggling anyhow in most cases.

Soldato
OP
Silicon lottery exactly. Sounds like I should just stay the way I am. I think the chances of getting a 4930 that does 4.5 on low volts is quite low and if I go to the hassle of taking my loop apart to find it doesn’t do it i’m not going to be happy. Also if the next gen of nvidia is better at dx12 that’ll be another reason to stay on x79. Thanks for the replies

Soldato
OP

I've been mulling over upgrading my 4820K to one of the 6/12 4000 series or one of the Xeons but usually come back to just saving my money for a future upgrade - it isn't like my 4820K is struggling anyhow in most cases.

Did you get NVME working on your x79 mate? I got a custom bios that adds it on boot

Soldato

I'm on a 3820k and feel that's ample for what I do. Pubg gives me a bottleneck when I drop from the plane and look around, but once landed everything is good.

It's an ok clocker at 4.8xx

Man of Honour
I've never bothered with NVME on the 4820K system - it is another reason I've edged towards holding my money for a new platform to do it properly.

I'm on a 3820k and feel that's ample for what I do. Pubg gives me a bottleneck when I drop from the plane and look around, but once landed everything is good.

It's an ok clocker at 4.8xx

My 4820K isn't that great a clocker - it runs stable all the way to 5GHz where it hits a wall but needs a lot more voltage than most to do so - so I generally don't run it above 4.4-4.5GHz. IMC is kind of weak on it as well - though it does take tight timings decently which offsets that a bit.

Soldato
OP
Well if you fancy trying nvme google bolts4breakfast nvme test bios on the ROG forums. The guy has updated the microcode for a load of x79 motherboards along with other bits of the bios too. I’ve been running it for years and they’re really stable

Man of Honour
Well if you fancy trying nvme google bolts4breakfast nvme test bios on the ROG forums. The guy has updated the microcode for a load of x79 motherboards along with other bits of the bios too. I’ve been running it for years and they’re really stable

It is doable on my setup fairly easily but it means using portions of the X99 BIOS that haven't been fully tested on this board so could be hidden issues, etc. so I've not bothered with it.

Soldato
I wouldn't buy a cpu from ebay....seen too many scams. Being sold a totally different chip with the heat spreader from an original cpu, on a different low end chip. If your'e buying from a decent dealer than ok but never the bay for me.

I also thought of making the jump but wasn't worth the hassle in the end. A matter of 6 fps I think I worked it out at, for me anyway at the time.

Soldato
Okay so this thread has been an absolute eye opener...

I'm wanting to get a 1080 ti or equivalent new gpu when they hit and worried about the bottleneck issue on my 3930k. I was/am considering upgrading to a 8700k etc but...

So if I'm understanding the above, if I could get a 4930k cheaply enough and from a reputable source I'd be able to replace my dual channel kit for quad core and not get a bottleneck with a top end gpu?

Back
Top Bottom