Car Rental No Show charge, Help!

Soldato
Yep, hes a wuss and not very practical at all.. probably thought it was okay

I however do not, he doesnt earn much money and regardless what people think i think they have took the p**s

Get on their Twitter, facebook, Instagram, tinder, whatever social media they use, leave as many scathing reviews as possible. Get on to the press (make sure you prepare your sadface for the Sun), get in touch with the highest person in the company you can and make sure they are aware their name is going to get dragged through the mud as much as possible unless this is resolved to your satisfaction. Ask them for the evidence the booking was made for 10am - if they are unable to provide this, then give them formal notice that you will be taking them to court for the full amount paid, plus any additional expenses incurred due to them breaching the contract (e.g. if your father had to take a new rental on the day for a higher cost then sue them for the difference).

This is why I always take screenshots of any important transactions before I complete them - sure it's not absolute proof, but given that civil cases are decided on the balance of probabilities, it's certainly not going to hurt my case if it ever goes wrong.

I'd also be interested in how the 3 days rental charge holds up against unfair contract terms if it applies even if they rent out the car to someone else. In similar situations e.g. with landlords, if you leave a rental property within the minimum term, then they aren't allowed to charge you the full amount for the remaining months if they get another tenant in during that time (and thus effectively getting double rent)

Last edited:
Soldato
Car rental places are the worst for trying it on due to the flexibility they have with taking payments after the event etc (eg they can charge you for further damage found long after you've returned the car).

If it was a visa debit you have the same protection as a credit card. Find the confirmation and tell your bank.

Soldato
Some people in this thread are forgetting that the car rental company isn't in the business of storing cars. Parking a car near an airport usually costs more than the rental fee itself so it is in their interest to ensure that if a customer doesn't turn up, the car is rented out to someone else. Likewise, charging the original customer a fee in the situation is likely to be considered reasonable up to a certain amount.

That is not is not to say the company hasn't screwed up in some way in taking down the original details of the booking.

I'd also be interested in how the 3 days rental charge holds up against unfair contract terms if it applies even if they rent out the car to someone else. In similar situations e.g. with landlords, if you leave a rental property within the minimum term, then they aren't allowed to charge you the full amount for the remaining months if they get another tenant in during that time (and thus effectively getting double rent)

Whether the charge is justified will likely be determined by reference to what the company could reasonably foresee as being the estimated lost income and additional costs incurred as a result of the cancellation. In some cases it might mean 7 days of lost income in others none, but including a flat charge in a contract isn't uncommon. Landlords are subject to a host of regulations that are specific to the industry so not really comparable.

Soldato
A very important question. Did your father PAID in advance? Then the company is not losing the money then they might be illegal resold the car to someone else regardless what the term and conditions says.

Any civil judge will dismiss the term and conditions

Soldato
Get on their Twitter, facebook, Instagram, tinder, whatever social media they use, leave as many scathing reviews as possible.

This has worked for me on a couple of occasions, companies hate bad reviews nowadays.

With one company, after trying for ages to get an acceptable resolution and them flat out refusing, I left a bad review on TrustPilot. 30 minutes later I had a phone call offering me everything I wanted and more!

Man of Honour
exactly, maybe I'm thinking of stuff in black and white, for instance

I'm selling you a graphics card, your coming to pick it up, I say be there at 10, but ill keep it until 3

You arrive at 6, I say " sorry i have sold your graphics card because I didn't think you was going to turn up, however I will have to charge you for it " so I've made 2 lots of money from one graphics card

I then say " we will have a new card for you tomorrow, which you will pay for again "

good business if you can get it

Another analogy would be if you book an advance train ticket (an alternative form of transport) and turn up late to collect it, the train will have left without you and you won't get refunded, and would have to pay for another train ticket.

edit: I'm probably coming over a big negative, it seems a bit out of order to me and I wouldn't be happy either, but I think some of the arguments being put forward aren't watertight.

Soldato
I use enterprise not dissimilar terms
If you cancel your booking in less than 24 hours before your specified pick up time, you will not be entitled to a refund.
If you fail to pick up your prepaid rental on the specified pick-up date, you will receive a full refund minus a no show fee.

as commented says easirent penalty is three days , but implies flight #, is just optional data, and time/location is the major player
Choose your desired car group by clicking Book Now! You will be presented with all the information about your booking. Chosen Car Group, Pick Up/Drop Off Locations, Date, Time and the total amount of your Reservation. You can then complete your details such us Name, Email, Telephone, Flight Number.

Associate
OP
ok there is an update and things aren't as clear cut as it seems

He prepaid for the car
he turned up late.. the car was gone
they said we have another car for you tomorrow, which will cost 150 extra, as its only one they have
The guy said " you also selected our relax zero protection package at £168 " because he didnt have a credit card

Soldato
Another analogy would be if you book an advance train ticket (an alternative form of transport) and turn up late to collect it, the train will have left without you and you won't get refunded, and would have to pay for another train ticket.

edit: I'm probably coming over a big negative, it seems a bit out of order to me and I wouldn't be happy either, but I think some of the arguments being put forward aren't watertight.

That would work if it was a season ticket for a week, you missed the first train, but you should still be able to use the next train service.

Back
Top Bottom