Phanteks Evolv ATX, Water or Air?

Soldato
With a radiator in top I found removing the mesh on top venting definitely improved exhaust airflow .. setting it on top clips instead of being latched on gave some more improvement. But as I mentioned above the on/off button cannot be used unless top is clipped on or modified with a spacer. I was going to modify the top mounting latches and switch but I ended up going air cooled in my Evolv ATX and Evolv mATX so never did it.

I found front spacing did not significantly improve airflow unless it was spaced out in front of surrounding case, and it looks weird to me.

Soldato
Unless you water cool your GPU I would not mount a radiator in front. Use the front as cool air intake and top for radiator. I fit a little spacer on top of on/off switch so with top just resting on latches I could turn system on and off. ;) I'm pretty sure I could figure out a simple fix to raise clips so top could be clipped on with a 5mm space all the way around. :p

Soldato
Have the top and front as intakes, and an exhaust on the back. I've set mine up like this and I don't have any air flow problems. There's 1 360 radiator in the front and 1 240 radiator on the top.

Soldato
Have the top and front as intakes, and an exhaust on the back. I've set mine up like this and I don't have any air flow problems. There's 1 360 radiator in the front and 1 240 radiator on the top.
I'm going to assume that is custom loop, not CLC. Custom loop radiators have much better heat transfer to air speed / volume ratio than CLC radiators do. ;)

Soldato
I'm going to assume that is custom loop, not CLC. Custom loop radiators have much better heat transfer to air speed / volume ratio than CLC radiators do. ;)
That's not really the reported issue though. The issues people talk about are poor airflow out of the top, because the top panel acts like a heat trap. Your point would actually make it worse for custom loops because there's going to be a greater build up of hot air in the top.

Having the top as an intake completely removes the issue of the top panel trapping hot air.

Soldato
That's not really the reported issue though. The issues people talk about are poor airflow out of the top, because the top panel acts like a heat trap. Your point would actually make it worse for custom loops because there's going to be a greater build up of hot air in the top.

Having the top as an intake completely removes the issue of the top panel trapping hot air.
I think you are missing what I am talking about.
First off, any radiator in top of Evolv ATX has extremely restricted airflow. Custom loop radiators are much better quality than CLC radiators and transfer heat many times better than CLC radiators with a fraction the airflow needed by CLC radiators.

Because CLC radiators need massive amounts of airflow to cool half as well as a quality custom loop radiator they need much more vent area of function.

Hope that makes sense.

And I haven't even touched on how extremely low the coolant flowrate is from CLC pump compared to custom loop pumps. :D

Soldato
I think you are missing what I am talking about.
First off, any radiator in top of Evolv ATX has extremely restricted airflow. Custom loop radiators are much better quality than CLC radiators and transfer heat many times better than CLC radiators with a fraction the airflow needed by CLC radiators.

Because CLC radiators need massive amounts of airflow to cool half as well as a quality custom loop radiator they need much more vent area of function.

Hope that makes sense.

And I haven't even touched on how extremely low the coolant flowrate is from CLC pump compared to custom loop pumps. :D
When used as an exhaust, but when used as an intake, the negative pressure changes that.

Soldato
When used as an exhaust, but when used as an intake, the negative pressure changes that.
Please explain how the amount of airflow through a give space is going to change significantly because system is intake or exhaust and how the extremely low pressure differential between inside and out side of average case causes a significant change.

First of most systems have positive pressure to keep dust out, but the extremely slight of pressure difference between inside and outside is less than the pressure difference between standing with toes in the ocean and standing 7-8 feet above the ocean on a dock or deck.

Soldato
Please explain how the amount of airflow through a give space is going to change significantly because system is intake or exhaust and how the extremely low pressure differential between inside and out side of average case causes a significant change.

First of most systems have positive pressure to keep dust out, but the extremely slight of pressure difference between inside and outside is less than the pressure difference between standing with toes in the ocean and standing 7-8 feet above the ocean on a dock or deck.
Because it isn't a heat trap any more when used as an intake rather than exhaust. I already explained this. The negative pressure means that air is coming in and flowing through the area, rather than being moved in to dead spots and getting trapped in the top because the airflow doesn't cover the whole area.

The negative pressure means that the air is being pulled through it, and doesn't leave room for hot air to build up in a deadspot, thus insulating the radiator more and more over time.

Soldato
Because it isn't a heat trap any more when used as an intake rather than exhaust. I already explained this. The negative pressure means that air is coming in and flowing through the area, rather than being moved in to dead spots and getting trapped in the top because the airflow doesn't cover the whole area.

The negative pressure means that the air is being pulled through it, and doesn't leave room for hot air to build up in a deadspot, thus insulating the radiator more and more over time.
'Positive pressure' does not create a 'heat trap'.

Case exhausting air is just air flowing out of case.

Case intaking air is just air flowing into case.

Fans generate a positive pressure (differential) on their exhaust side and a negative pressure (differential) on their intake side. This cause air to flow toward the intake side of fan trying to equalize the pressure .. and air to flow away from the higher pressure on exhaust side of fan to equalize it.

Airflow is not created by having higher or lower pressure inside of case.

Airflow is created by higher pressure areas of air moving to lower pressure areas.

So a 'negative pressure' case will only flow air into it until the pressure equalizes.

We another low pressure area outside of case for the air to flow out of case into in it's attempt to equalize the pressure there too.

In other words to have airflow through a case we need higher pressure on intake vents and lower pressure on exhaust vents rather than 'negative pressure inside of case.

Associate
I've removed the strips on the top panel now and placed washers under the top panel brackets to space them out.

I think I'm going to get the lain-li pc 011 airflow edition when it comes out instead, less messing around with cases just to get good airflow. Shame really, as I love the aesthetics of the Enthoo Evolv.

Soldato
'Positive pressure' does not create a 'heat trap'.

Case exhausting air is just air flowing out of case.

Case intaking air is just air flowing into case.

Fans generate a positive pressure (differential) on their exhaust side and a negative pressure (differential) on their intake side. This cause air to flow toward the intake side of fan trying to equalize the pressure .. and air to flow away from the higher pressure on exhaust side of fan to equalize it.

Airflow is not created by having higher or lower pressure inside of case.

Airflow is created by higher pressure areas of air moving to lower pressure areas.

So a 'negative pressure' case will only flow air into it until the pressure equalizes.

We another low pressure area outside of case for the air to flow out of case into in it's attempt to equalize the pressure there too.

In other words to have airflow through a case we need higher pressure on intake vents and lower pressure on exhaust vents rather than 'negative pressure inside of case.
This is pointless. You're trying so hard to misunderstand me that you're claiming I said things I didn't actually say.

I never said positive pressure creates a heat trap. I said that having the top as an intake stops the top from being a heat trap... and that having negative pressure with the way the top of the case is designed, means that there is no chance for heat to build up.

But you knew that...

Soldato
This is pointless. You're trying so hard to misunderstand me that you're claiming I said things I didn't actually say.

I never said positive pressure creates a heat trap. I said that having the top as an intake stops the top from being a heat trap... and that having negative pressure with the way the top of the case is designed, means that there is no chance for heat to build up.

But you knew that...
Sorry if I misunderstood you. I build several systems a month all with little or no top venting and always with positive pressure to keep dust out. All run cool and quiet with not 'heat trap' in top of case or anywhere else. ;)

I've found almost always having airflow only front to back with no turns creates less turbulence and gives smoother airflow which results in cooler air getting to components and going into component coolers. All this results is cool and quiet systems.

Soldato
Sorry if I misunderstood you. I build several systems a month all with little or no top venting and always with positive pressure to keep dust out. All run cool and quiet with not 'heat trap' in top of case or anywhere else. ;)

I've found almost always having airflow only front to back with no turns creates less turbulence and gives smoother airflow which results in cooler air getting to components and going into component coolers. All this results is cool and quiet systems.
Oh my god. We're talking about this particular case, as case that had a bad rep for having poor air flow and a heat trap in the top when you put a radiator up there.

You're misunderstanding pretty much everything I'm saying. We're talking about this case, why are you mentioning all your other builds as if it has any relevance to the thermal performance of this case?

";)"

Associate

if that were true I would have to run my fans very fast and loud to get good cooling but yet I don't. The pumps are also not as fast as they can go either.

Back
Top Bottom