• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8 Core Coffee Lake on its way

Associate
An 8 core coffee lake would be a great time to enable hyper-threading on all of their i series chips.

i3 4 core 8 thread
i5 6 core 12 thread
i7 8 core 16 thread

But Intel is too stupid to do it so doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

Soldato
An 8 core coffee lake would be a great time to enable hyper-threading on all of their i series chips.

i3 4 core 8 thread
i5 6 core 12 thread
i7 8 core 16 thread

But Intel is too stupid to do it so doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

Or maybe i9 makes it to mainstream as the 8 core part and sits in its own price bracket?

Caporegime
Dell are releasing the new XPS laptop with the new 6 core 12 thread coffee lake...so thermals on desktop for 8/16 shouldn't be an issue....

I'm running a 6700k and I'm buying one :D

Soldato
Thing is for them to produce an 8 core chip with the same IPC and frequency of existing Intel chips they will have to improve the thermals some how or it'll just be too hot.
Will it though?
Running stock? I think they might just get away with it. I mean overclockers are screwed for sure yeah but how do we really impact their business model. What % of the public overclock their CPUs?? 0.0001%?

Intel won't care. As long as it runs stock they will think that is fine. Hell think of all the laptops that actual ship with thermal throttling issues out the box!

Caporegime
Will it though?
Running stock? I think they might just get away with it. I mean overclockers are screwed for sure yeah but how do we really impact their business model. What % of the public overclock their CPUs?? 0.0001%?

Intel won't care. As long as it runs stock they will think that is fine. Hell think of all the laptops that actual ship with thermal throttling issues out the box!

They could just solder their K line. Those are far more likely to be overclocked. Would lesson the environmental impact or whatever Intel blame it on this week.

Soldato
Dell are releasing the new XPS laptop with the new 6 core 12 thread coffee lake...so thermals on desktop for 8/16 shouldn't be an issue....

I'm running a 6700k and I'm buying one :D
Mobile parts always run at low clock speeds though, so that indicates nothing. An 8c/16t Coffee Lake that gets to 5+ GHz on all cores without delidding and crazy cooling is almost certainly not going to happen.

Isn't this going to be a 6+2? Hence gaming performance should be a bit rubbish like the X299 chips?
Oh really, it's going to use some kind of mesh architecture like Skylake-X? If so it'll be very interesting to see how it performs, given an R5 1600 @ 4 GHz matches or beats an i7-7800X @ 4.7 GHz across 30 games at 1080p with a GTX 1080 Ti (link). Intel's mesh architecture really isn't up to snuff for gaming right now, so it'll be interesting to see if they can improve it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mobile parts always run at low clock speeds though, so that indicates nothing. An 8c/16t Coffee Lake that gets to 5+ GHz on all cores without delidding and crazy cooling is almost certainly not going to happen.

No one mentioned 5ghz. Just that the chip exists.

For me a stock 8/16 coffee lake will be perfect for my recording studio. I dont want noise.

Ive been overclocking long enough and gone are the days of me chasing 400 mhz for epeen.

Soldato
No one mentioned 5ghz. Just that the chip exists.

For me a stock 8/16 coffee lake will be perfect for my recording studio. I dont want noise.

Ive been overclocking long enough and gone are the days of me chasing 400 mhz for epeen.

So with that in mind then, how comes a 2700X is not an option for you? 4.3ghz out of the box with its boost clocks etc, 8/16 CPU, cheaper entry point than the Intel 8/16 is going to be as your going to need a new mobo for the CPU anyhow?

Interested to know if you would even contemplate the new 2700X, given it should fit perfectly into what you would need it for.

Caporegime
So with that in mind then, how comes a 2700X is not an option for you? 4.3ghz out of the box with its boost clocks etc, 8/16 CPU, cheaper entry point than the Intel 8/16 is going to be as your going to need a new mobo for the CPU anyhow?

Interested to know if you would even contemplate the new 2700X, given it should fit perfectly into what you would need it for.

Audio latency performance. Its common knowledge that Ryzen under performs INTEL in DAW software.

This is gen one Ryzen...Not sure if things will change wityh Gen 2 ryzen. But its something to do with the FSB and cache of the AMD architecture that lets it down...

Back
Top Bottom