X370 vs X470 Motherboards

Associate
It's safe to say that if you already have an X370 board then there's no point in """upgrading""" to X470.
If you're buying new then might as well go X470, unless you find a really good deal for a X370 board.

Permabanned
Don't forget that if building from scratch the X470 will take the new cpu's out of the box. The B350/X370 boards will need a bios update which would involve getting hold of a first gen Ryzen cpu or wait for a AMD flashing kit.

... and also. With the X370 boards, they will not reach the maximum XFR2 frequencies, thus losing CPU performance.

Associate
... and also. With the X370 boards, they will not reach the maximum XFR2 frequencies, thus losing CPU performance.

X370 has XFR2, what you don't get is Precision Boost Override (but that might be added later on via UEFI). All PBO does is more or less increase package power.

The main X370 v X470 differences are Precision Boost Override, StoreMI and the memory kits motherboard makers validated for.

Associate

for the price unless you sell off the old board the difference is tiny and not worth it.
I keep my B350 plus board and will put in a 2600x

Associate
Some boards might have improved memory compatibility, X370/B350 boards were rife with memory signalling issues, X470 seems to have improved in that regard somewhat.
On a different forum people are reporting a good 100~200Mhz uplift in how high you can get with kits by going from X370 Prime to X470 Prime, but that might just be an issue on ASUS' end since the X370 Prime was somewhat notorious for being difficult to work with on the memory front.

Soldato
Some boards might have improved memory compatibility, X370/B350 boards were rife with memory signalling issues, X470 seems to have improved in that regard somewhat.

Tbh I'm tempted to switch just my motherboard and find out what an X470 will do for my 1600X. In terms of actual computing power, it's fine for me, but I'm let down by shoddy bios and a bad board layout and the memory being stuck down at 2933 :(

...if there was a nice mATX option I'd probably already have done it, but no joy there. Don't really want ATX, and concerned that ITX might not have enough VRM phases for a top tier chip next gen...

Soldato
Tbh I'm tempted to switch just my motherboard and find out what an X470 will do for my 1600X. In terms of actual computing power, it's fine for me, but I'm let down by shoddy bios and a bad board layout and the memory being stuck down at 2933 :(

...if there was a nice mATX option I'd probably already have done it, but no joy there. Don't really want ATX, and concerned that ITX might not have enough VRM phases for a top tier chip next gen...

Dig some PCB breakdowns to find out vrm . You'll see Aorus 7 and Hero have fewer VRM then Taichi but IR chips are newer but share different controllers, Aorus and Taichi whilst different IR chips share the same controller..

ITX boards might surprise you :D

Associate
Stick to your current board if you can get close to your kit's rated speed, according to The Stilt write up the main limit is still your chips' IMC.

Soldato
if they are same type as hero then wouldn't mind to much :D 160A to CPU if thats the case

I think my concern is the lack of phases will generate a lot of heat - on a small board, which can be expected to be in a small case ¬_¬

I should probably just wait a few weeks and let reviews and opinions surface. Was kind of hoping Ryzen 2 would solve my problems, but since it's failed to launch with a single mATX board it's actually given me more to think about :(

Soldato
I think my concern is the lack of phases will generate a lot of heat - on a small board, which can be expected to be in a small case ¬_¬

I should probably just wait a few weeks and let reviews and opinions surface. Was kind of hoping Ryzen 2 would solve my problems, but since it's failed to launch with a single mATX board it's actually given me more to think about :(

should be alright, if your only gaming. ran my itx z370 with vrms hitting 80c max when gaming with 1.34v running 5.1 8700k :D haha

Soldato
should be alright, if your only gaming. ran my itx z370 with vrms hitting 80c max when gaming with 1.34v running 5.1 8700k :D haha

Not bad, which was that? I've been debating an 8700k, but I'd probably just settle for off the shelf and all cores at 4.7. Fighting for that last 300mhz feels too hard, especially with the current delidding/binning fee :p

Soldato
gigabyte itx board . replaced thermal pads though. my chip refused to do 5.2 under anything so to lazy to delid, cooling handles it just fine for gaming , 60c and quiet so cool good . plus resale is a pain with delids

Associate

this is what I am wondering for my 1700 chip. would mean I could take the fan away from the VRMs too.

Back
Top Bottom