• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Chrome Making GPU run at 3d clocks

Permabanned
I noticed my GPU is idling at 50C, so i had a look into it then i noticed when i open and close google chrome my clock go upto none turbo 3d speeds.

Any idea what this would happen

Edit: its also the same with microsoft edge

Soldato
Its normal for them to utilise 3d clocks although it shouldnt be constantly activated.

50C is very high for idle GPU temps at this time of the year even in 3d clock mode, e.g. I can play GTA5 and its only in the 40s.

Permabanned
OP
it turns out power management mode in the NV control panel was set to max performance, now may card idles at 27c.

Its normal for them to utilise 3d clocks although it shouldnt be constantly activated.

50C is very high for idle GPU temps at this time of the year even in 3d clock mode, e.g. I can play GTA5 and its only in the 40s.

your 1070 runs GTA v at 40c? is that at 720p?
Max setting 1440 my 1060 its 70+, my 290x hits 90c lol

Caporegime

no way is your GPU running at 40C playing GTA5 unless it's under a custom waterloop and undervolted, etc.

Soldato
Nope the palit cards just have very good cooling, and these figures are from early april.

GTA5 is in windowed mode at 1200p. 4x msaa (with MFAA so actually 2x msaa processing cost), natural vision mod, advanced graphics options disabled or set to min, fxaa off, shadowns etc. either 1 or 2 settings below max. grass on bottom but one setting.

GPU temp averages about 45-48C, it can hit 50s tho if thundery weather.

If I play very light games like FF10, which is really light on the GPU but still activates 3D load, the temps dont even get out the 30s.

Obviously in june/july/august the story would be different.

Seems OP fixed now anyway, so yeah dont set the global setting to full power, just set full power as and when needed on a per game basis on the game profile.

Also forgot to mention I do have a modified fan profile.

Fan doesnt stop on idle, it runs at 20%, I change fan profile from stepped to progressive, meaning in general it reduces temps.

Also when I used to play GTA5 at 30fps, the gpu temps were even lower. ;) Remember I havent jumped on the 144hz bandwagon, so my FPS is capped.

Soldato
just did a GTA RP session, and did an OSD grab. It was over 50C but ambient temp is 7C higher than a few weeks back.

I forgot to mention as well I am rendering higher than 1200p as well, I am using gta's built in version of nvidia DSR.

igzCrUZ.jpg

Soldato
I'm confused, you started off in this thread at 40c, then we went to 48c and into the 50's in thundery weather, in your screenshot your gpu temp is 54c, but gpu usage is 66% and the CPU is at 100% bottlenecking on one core? P4Clock is running 1440p at max settings (probably not grass), but can you show us 1440p maxxed to compare?

Soldato
fivem GTA RP client loads up a cpu core. (single threaded software using weird sleep lock). This client manages the online aspect but not game rendering, the rendering is handled by gtav.exe same as normal game. In affect this just makes the game only have 5 cores instead of 6 available to it on my system, they not fully loaded, I am not throttled by the cpu in this case.

I never said 40c I said 40s.

The rendering res is actually higher than 1200p.

The reason is in the picture. I cap my framerate to 60fps, and its not fully working my gpu, notice its at only 66% load, and combined with the cooling my temps dont go to insane levels.

I think if was middle of summer the game could hit the 60s. If I loaded it up at 1440p fullscreen I would probably disable the upscaling and the utilisation would go down as it currently renders higher than 1440p. Frame scaling is at 3/2 (1.5x)

Whilst some people play at 144fps or even just uncapped framerates, I never game like that.

To me all this is clear in the picture.

Game running at fps cap (no hardware bottleneck).
Gpu only 2/3 loaded.
Fans tuned.

All explained.

Back
Top Bottom