Ebay Issues: Buyer finding fault with condition of item....wants refund

Associate
It's too late mate, he's had ya. The clues were all there before the transaction ever happened - you yourself have highlighted these. He's a trader and took on easy prey. Traders don't make money by being honest, they make it by getting lucky, and when it doesn't go their way, they cheat, lie, and steal. It only takes one mistake or one bit of bad luck to wipe out any profits from previous deals. The money he's got from you and others he's recently scammed will help him claw back some of the money he lost on his bad trade.

Soldato
Similar happened to my wife when she sold a purse. Buyer bought it, received it, trashed it then claimed a full refund. Guessing she planned all along to use it for a night out/event then return it (like those scummy people that buy, wear and return clothes). Nothing you can do.

Associate
My first thought was he's trying to send you back his old banged up trainers. Asking for pics of the soles and other angles is a good suggestion.

Caporegime
Yeah I think you'll get his old trainers and he gets your new ones.
Ebay will likely refund him the cost.
You'll be left with an old pair of trainers and no money.

That's my guess anyway

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies..... got another 2 emails chasing this morning then dropped him this reply

"Thanks for your repiy to my message of 4/5 received this morning

I am keen to resolve this issue however in absence of the requested additional photos / answers to questions per my message all I can offer is for you to return the trainers/ box and nike plus brochure to me for inspection and refund"

Then got a couple more replies....

Also i didn't notice any damage to the box. Also i did not notice as i was so happy to where (sic) my trainers straight away.

I will take the photos of the bottom of the trainers but I'm not at back home till tomorrow ok.

So buyer has not taken the offer to return for inspection & refund suggesting he wants too keep them.

Has advised that no issues with the packaging and did not notice any issues out of the box as keen too wear them...will message him later and press further when the alleged damage occurred

and then another message this afternoon

Here is the bottom sole

You have all the information now so no excuse
good grief:(

nn1xzr.jpg

Buyer sent just one picture of bottom of one sole in response to my request.....

"Can you please provide good quality full length pictures of both trainers all sides . Also please include me angled shots of the damage to include within the shot the bottom of soles"

Will push further for better photos though its possible he may have issues grasping this

Also reckon this is a picture of my trainers albeit hes likely outside as seeing possible signs of wear on base of soles.

My pic bottom of soles in comparrison

5bps44.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
He doesn't want to send them back because yeah he's pretty much trying it in to scam a partial refund.

Scum. Anyone else would prob say screw it i'll send them back just refund me.

Caporegime
Any photo of the rest of the shoe needs to show the damage otherwise he could just be showing you the bottom of the shoes you sold him which don't have any damage. At this point you need to assume he's got two pair, the good pair you sold him and an old pair that he's using to try to blag a discount.

Man of Honour

im starting to think the buyer might be in the right, ie: worn the shoes and the paint flaked off straight away,
look at how white the instep of the shoe is and how dark the suede is above, those parts of the trainers look new, if they were old trainers i dont think you'd be able to clean them up so well

Soldato
I know it's a relatively small number when taken in context with the total number of eBay transactions, but with the sheer amount of people who do get scammed on eBay why are the authorities not getting involved? I mean, if it were a bricks and mortar place on the high street it would have been closed down for dodgy practices years ago, but it seems eBay gets a pass and is just allowed to get on with enabling scammers to steal money and items from people.

Soldato
im starting to think the buyer might be in the right, ie: worn the shoes and the paint flaked off straight away,
look at how white the instep of the shoe is and how dark the suede is above, those parts of the trainers look new, if they were old trainers i dont think you'd be able to clean them up so well

It does look that way.

Associate

Actually, I think you're right. Like I said in a previous comment, the trainers are poor quality, despite the Nike name, and anyone who collects trainers must be a sandwich short of a picnic anyway. If the red parts flake off essentially new trainers, they were not worth collecting in the first instance.

But really.... Collecting trainers? WTF.

Associate
OP

Associate
OP

No hes saying they arrived in that condition! I got them and after i put them on i noticed marks on the red parts of the soles at the side. You should have said it on the listing?

and despite this being "very noticeable" damage didn't notice when unboxing them /before wearing them...... Also i did not notice as i was so happy to where (sic) my trainers straight away.

you have 2 choices

partial refund or return and refund

with how hes being evasive i would just say return them

Ball is in his court.....He can send them back too me or provide me with the info I have requested for further consideration

Associate
Also look at the sole. Ok, you can't actually see it properly, but you can see the tread lines from the side, and it looks new.
The reason the red parts have come off is actually a design feature. Basically, trainer manufactures don't want trainers to last any more than a couple of years as they need to maximise profits by getting you to keep paying up. The fact that these trainers have been in storage, unused for the last 10 years demonstrates this. This feature means even someone who only uses trainers on occasion will also have no option than to keep paying every couple of years. The design features were implemented very stealthy, in this case, a rubber mix that becomes brittle over time, regardless of usage, meaning any paint eventually wears off. Bravo Nike, Bravo.

Associate
No hes saying they arrived in that condition! I got them and after i put them on i noticed marks on the red parts of the soles at the side. You should have said it on the listing?

They didn't arrive in that condition. He was happy upon receiving them, put them on to try them out, then the pain flaked off and then noticed they were faulty. The fault didn't materialise until he wore them when the pressure would have cracked the rubber mix that became brittle over the years. You weren't to know they were faulty trainers, neither was he. Only Nike knew this and the Indonesian factory who produced them.

Back
Top Bottom