Spec me a nosey neighbour deterrent

Soldato
As the title says regarding neighbours from Hell.
Whenever I go in the back yard the neighbour comes running out to the fence to see what im doing.
He's also hanging around in the lane behind my back yard fence & put a bench in the lane behind his yard which has a direct line of site into my yard as that land is 1m higher.
I've just had to put a 2m high fence at the rear & it would cost a lot to put a 2m fence at the side too, which wont stop him looking over due to the higher land behind his yard. I could dump some top soil in the lane behind my yard to make it difficult for him to hang around there though.
The lane is unused & he's trying claim it as adverse posession, but has not fenced it off.
I don't think he's a pervert, just very extroverted, nosey & needs chat all the time. I'd find it difficult to tell him mind his own business, which I suspect why he's gotten as bad as he has, but if i tell him do one & he's still a nuisance would it be legal to get the hosepipe on him?

Also his wife keeps staring out the front window too when I'm working on the car etc, or she pretends be doing something in the front yard. That's no big deal but I have to apologise for her to my friends who visit.
My mechanic once took a photo of my car reg for a part & later she was crying & very upset in the street, he shouted to me 'hey you why did someone take a pic of your car'. I kid you not!
Does it sound like she has a mental condition?
Or if i park in the other drive he comes round & asks why or why I go work at different times each morning.

Hope its been an interesting read folks but its a genuine garden problem.

Soldato
OP
Haha yeah weird. Maybe it's because he's 77, retired & bored & its a generation thing.
Either way if i bring a lady friend round & he's perving over the fence he's going be branded a peeping Tom. He's in the neighbourhood watch scheme thing too lol.

Don
Pop around and have a chat with them both first - pretty sure that if you explain with the examples you have given, that they are infringing your privacy (they maybe don't realise), that you may be able to resolve it without taking things further.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I feel kinda guilty now. Maybe they're just over friendly & I've perceived the infringement on my privacy as an attack & reacted as such.
It doesn't help that I'm introverted & don't like small talk but am too nice to say 'yeah ok see you'.

Soldato
ymmv but around here if you are opening the bonnet of the car the neighbours are curious ... on the other hand, you're sure he is not an ex mechanic

Soldato
No you are not weird - we have a woman over the road like that - nosey as hell - She is a total PITA - one day she came home and as soon as she parked up turned radio on loud - I am half deaf and it was loud to me so walked round to my front gate and gave her a slow hand clap - she got the message - No one now talks to her - When we first came here she used to walk over to next door and walk in their kitchen while she was still in bed - next door was to scared of her to say don't come in again - Once next doors husband retired she stopped coming over. She moans about noise -cars parking outside her house - you name it she moans but best part is she breeds dogs and they bark - I said to her once if I had known she was a dog bleeder I wouldn't have bought the place - that peed her off.

Neighbours are a pain in the bum and there is always one in a road.

Soldato
OP
He's not an ex mechanic. Over the years I've been round countless times to fix his little PC & show him how to use it. Had to put Ubuntu on as its so old. I even gave him an old hard drive I wasn't using.
Maybe he thinks I'm just very friendly & a soft touch. Its a shame now as likely he'll have a hump & spend the rest of his days next to someone who thinks badly of him.
Yes, everyone should have the right to come home from work, sit in the back yard & relax in what sun is left without a nosey neighbour looking down in your garden from land they don't own, or any other issues like barking dogs which I should be lucky for I don't have I suppose.

Soldato
you wont be complaining if hes noseying over the back fence whilst your out and catches some toerag trying to break into your house

sounds like hes keeping a good eye on your house to me ;)

Soldato
If he wants something to see then give him something to see, start sunbathing naked!

Or whilst wearing a really tight thong :D

Apologies, OP, I have nothing constructive to add, only that I feel your pain about strange neighbours. It's a WEIRD world out there. Full of all sorts of people :(

Soldato
Defo get out there in the sun in a mankini or something.

Old people are just like that I find, our neighbours although not as nosey are always keeping an eye on everything going on. Park in the wrong place in the street and you will know about it, let your garden get too messy and you will get comments.

I don't mind too much as imo I'd rather put up with it and have them keeping an eye out on the house as they are home pretty much 24/7.

Associate
Yep I've got one of those too, I'm a bit luckier as he's a few doors down from me. I can imagine the two either side of him get it much worse than we do. There's nothing 'wrong' with him, but he's so nosey, doesn't seem to have a filter for what's an appropriate question. It's sad but I tend to hide for 5 mins if I know he's about, rather than get dragged into another weird conversation ;)

Back
Top Bottom