Loads of questions about MTB

Soldato
My MTB is a Giant XTC-3 2005 model, so about 14 years old but in perfectly usable/serviceable condition, I have no reason to replace it.
However in that time it hasn't had much i the way of servicing, just replaced parts as i needed or as they wore out.

replaced forks and handlebars almost as soon as I got it.
seat replaced for (allegedly) more comfortable one
BB broke - replaced
rear wheel, freewheel started sticking - replaced both wheels
tyres are now semi-slicks

Every summer I have the same problem in that the weather heats up and the brakes lock on, so those will need bleeding.

I am capable of doing any maintenance that needs doing, but certain things I have either never done or not done for a long time, the bike hasn't had that much use for one that is 14 years old so is in good nic for its age.

do I need to strip the forks, headset and hubs down ? The forks are air sprung/damped
If I do strip them, what kind of lube/grease should I use on them
I think the BB is a sealed item, I will whip it out and check anyway.

What is the best way to clean the chain ? I don't have a chain wash doodah, so will probably just turn the bike upside down and run degreaser over everything

What is a decent grease to them relube it with ?

The brakes are hydraulic disks but its been about 12 years since I fully bled them, what is the best way to do this, and can the Giant brakes have normal DOT fluid or do they need something special ?

In terms of tyres, i am contemplating doing a bit off off roading this summer, what do you recommend I fit on it ?

I also need a lid, as I have never owned one in my life, what kind of budget do you recommend spending on one ? bearing in mind this will possibly get used once a week/fortnight

I suppose the other service things should be, check everything is tight and adjust the gears/derailleurs to make sure they are indexing correctly.

Back
Top Bottom