Closing fire doors

Soldato
Don't know if anyone can point me in the right direction to get non-bias advice about this.

Basically it's a tiny issue, but the only door into/out of our ~400sq/ft office is technically therefore a fire door and we were told by the security guard yesterday that we had to keep it closed as a result. He then continued to explain that if a fire started in our office then it would spread to the hallway which is a fire exit.

Fair enough, except the door is only open when we're in it and if a fire started in our office then we'd be there to close it behind us...

Only reason it's open slightly is because we have no aircon, 7 beastly PCs running 24/7 and only some small feature windows to open. Opening the door is the only way to get a bit of draught and air movement going.

As always, TIA.

Caporegime
You need an automatic closing door then,so when the fire alarm goes it disssengages the magnet holding the door open and closes the fire door.

It's the only 'legal' way around it really

Soldato
Could get one of those portable air con units and shove the exhaust out the window.

Bit more expensive than opening a door mind.

Soldato
Pretty much no way around that, we're allowed to use an approved door wedge if your in attendance of the door for tasks like moving equipment in and out of an area but only for short periods and someone needs to stand right by the door the entire time.

Soldato
http://www.fireco.uk/is-it-illegal-to-wedge-open-a-fire-door/

The last place i worked at had automatic fire doors, but where i work now does not and if you get caught propping one open and leaving it unattended, you are liable to be sacked for endangering other workers and nullifying their insurance.

Just for an example. What would happen if a fire broke out between where you are and the fire door and you could not extinguish it?
Would have thought there should be another exit door, preferably the other end of the room.

Man of Honour
What happens if there is a fire in the hall? It will spread quickly into your office if the door is open. Having it closed is there to protect you too.

Soldato
What happens if there is a fire in the hall? It will spread quickly into your office if the door is open. Having it closed is there to protect you too.

Good point and another reason to have a second exit, even a fire escape window. That way, you are not trapped in a burning building if the worst does happen.

Soldato
OP
Think people have overlooked the size of our room. As some have alluded to, it's very similar to a classroom: a bit bigger than a double bedroom in an average house with a few desks and one door.

Totally get the fire regs, just seems a bit OTT in this situation. If there's a fire in the hallway, we'd close the door and have to leave via the third floor windows somehow. If there was a fire in our room, it would be nowhere near the door (unless the door itself combusted) in which case we'd leave and close the door behind us.

Nevermind. Sweaty bums it is.

Man of Honour
Problem is once people start getting complacent it all falls apart and those fire doors, etc. are there for a reason.

Sucks as well when there isn't proper facilitation for warmer weather.

It is one I'm butting up against at work as we have shutters that come down to amongst other things give more time for the servers to backup off-site and slow down the spread in either direction to give people more time and people are constantly leaving things in the way of them closing - you tell them and they do it properly for like a week then go back to sloppy practises - leaving me little choice now but to deal with it more authoritatively :(

Soldato
When everyone is leaving a burning building in a 'calm and orderly' fashion (I'd like to see that actually happen), promising to close the propped open door on your way out is the last thing that'll be on anyone's mind.

Back
Top Bottom