New Headphones HELP

Soldato
This just sounds like a right pain. Most of the Amps that seem to be ideal for the k702 are too expensive for me or are out of stock or unavailable in the U.K.
While somewhat improved situation doesn't seem to have gotten that much better from five years ago.
On the other hand Creative has really upped their game first with external Sound BlasterX G5 and especially with Sound BlasterX AE-5.
Which are at same price level with preassembled Objective2, while having lot more features/functionality from being sound cards.

And at least you're not looking for way to connect two headphones to PC, like I did.
Sure there are those single devices with multiple independently volume controlled headphone output, but their actual technical specs usually included horrible output impedances.

V F

V F

Soldato
@V F with how you're using your k702 what's you're opinion on the smsl sap2 connected to your soundcard?

I can't say I had any issues, not that I'm a sound expert. I'm not but I didn't have any sound issues or directional sound problems.

I just couldn't hear below 20Hz. I can now hear/feel 10Hz quite subtle if you listen for it on the AE-5 with the K702.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31825315

Associate
OP
My god this is like the hardest decision ever! :p

I've just came across another option. I could purchase an external amp such as the Shitt Magni 3 (back in stock on official website) and just use my soundcard as the DAC so I can still use its benefits!

To me this doesn't sound like a bad idea at all!

What would you guys think?

But I'm hearing good feedback regarding the Soundblaster AE-5.

Also as my motherboard is quite old, I'm worried about the Soundblaster having issues :/. But it seems like it would be compatible after some small research, but everyone know how PCs can be a pain haha

EDIT: then near future purchase the MODI

Soldato
I'd much rather have a DAC and amp connected to a cheaper sound card just for DSP effects, than spend silly money on a sound card when they can have issues with OS updates, drivers and possibly EMI.

£120 on a AE-5 is not too bad though (cost wise). It's £200 on a STXII that is silly and a waste of money in my opinion.

Schitt Magni 3 is a great amp and as much as you'll ever need in an amp really, unless you start down the dangerous road of ever more expensive headphones. :p

The only downside to doing that, by connecting either a DAC/amp or just an amp (Magni 3) to the Xonar DG/X, you will be using Dolby Headphone. SBX prostudio found on Creative's cards is arguably better than DH for gaming.

It's not an easy decision to make, but for mainly gaming getting an AE-5 might be the best choice.

For me personally, I'd go for the Magni 3 then a Modi later on. I have no interest in positional effect stuff though, so the sound card would eventually get dumped. I'm not enough of an avid gamer any more to care about positional sound stuff. :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Even worse is that I don't use Dolby headphone much as the game I play most (Rainbow Six Siege) is better/recommended to play the game in Stereo.

However, upgrading to AKGs (from Hyper X Cloud) could make surround sound much better, but I can't comment on that just of yet.

If I went with the Magni/Modi DAC, what other advantages would their be compared to only having the Soundblaster AE-5?

I do have the Edifier c2xd speakers too so these could benefit but they have their own little amp. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/edif...m-with-distortion-control-c2xd-sp-039-er.html

I use my Headphones for gaming 80% but occasionally listen to Music and watch the odd thing.

Another thing, the issue of eventually becoming bored of games.

You guys have been a great help! Just would like to say Thank you.

I did not realise this was going to be a tough decision.

V F

V F

Soldato
I'd much rather have a DAC and amp connected to a cheaper sound card just for DSP effects, than spend silly money on a sound card when they can have issues with OS updates, drivers and possibly EMI.

£120 on a AE-5 is not too bad though (cost wise). It's £200 on a STXII that is silly and a waste of money in my opinion.

Schitt Magni 3 is a great amp and as much as you'll ever need in an amp really, unless you start down the dangerous road of ever more expensive headphones. :p

The only downside to doing that, by connecting either a DAC/amp or just an amp (Magni 3) to the Xonar DG/X, you will be using Dolby Headphone. SBX prostudio found on Creative's cards is arguably better than DH for gaming.

It's not an easy decision to make, but for mainly gaming getting an AE-5 might be the best choice.

For me personally, I'd go for the Magni 3 then a Modi later on. I have no interest in positional effect stuff though, so the sound card would eventually get dumped. I'm not enough of an avid gamer any more to care about positional sound stuff. :p

It was what I was going to go for but it hasn't had new drivers since 2015 and it gets lots of complaints across forums because of this.

Soldato
Even worse is that I don't use Dolby headphone much as the game I play most (Rainbow Six Siege) is better/recommended to play the game in Stereo.

However, upgrading to AKGs (from Hyper X Cloud) could make surround sound much better, but I can't comment on that just of yet.

If I went with the Magni/Modi DAC, what other advantages would their be compared to only having the Soundblaster AE-5?

I do have the Edifier c2xd speakers too so these could benefit but they have their own little amp. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/edif...m-with-distortion-control-c2xd-sp-039-er.html
You can't be blamed for not using Dolby Headphone.
Besides closed design HyperXes likely not being really up to job with binaural sound, Dolby Headphone is really average for games despite of that big hype Dolby name.
Certainly with anything above neutral bass its bass bloat/boom is fast horrible.
Bass neutral K702 makes that closer to tolerable, but DH still sounds like being in public bath. (never having been in gothic cathedral)
Creative has lot better algorithm for gaming.

R6 Siege (like most games) doesn't seem to have any headphone setting anywhere and not even output channel configuration.
So it can't output proper binaural sound.
Or if it assumes that Windows telling it to output two channels means headphones, that sound likely isn't that good for speakers.
And Youtube vids I've watched from it have the usual "in(side) left/right or in center of head" immersion of stereo speaker mix listened on headphones.
Which just feels totally crap when having headphones capable to lot better if fed proper signal...

Now that you mentioned speakers at least Creative sound cards have independent outputs and easy switching from headphone output to speakers so there wouldn't be any need to swap cables.
AE-5 also has direct output modes for both headphones and stereo speakers if you happen to want unprocessed sound:
https://hothardware.com/gallery/Article/2651?image=big_soundblaster_ae-5_speaker setup.jpg&tag=popup

If it helps I ran the K702 off a G5 (mentioned above) from a PS4 for a fair while and was impressed. Got the G5 2nd hand on eBay for £40ish so worth keeping an eye out .
You should do lottery when you have such luck for finding good prices...:p

Associate
OP
Right guys

I've finally made My decision.

I cancelled my order of the AKG K702 and ordered AKG K712 instead.

From reading an endless amount of reviews I want to sacrifice some competitiveness for 'fun'. I feel like I'd enjoy the AKG K712 a lot more. Also from reading an old post from @EsaT I could tweak EQ slightly to my preference.

I've ordered this with the Soundblaster AE-5. As I've only ever used the Asus Xonar 7.1 soundcard, I hope this will be a vast improvement :). From what I've seen I think it will be.

Managed to get K712 for £144 but refurbished, but from the company I purchased them from I do trust them, as I got a refurbished keyboard before and it looked brand new. I could have gotten them for £125 but I don't really trust CeX B grade product.

I got the Soundblaster AE-5 for £110.

You guys have been great help and would like to say thank you to everyone one of you!

Last edited:
Soldato
Good call, the K712 is a better headphone all round and though it has more bass than the K702 it will still shine in competitive gaming. I have a bass port modded K702, which has roughly the same amount of bass as the K712 and it's pretty much perfect for gaming. The K712 also wins in the comfort stakes thanks to it's memory foam / gel pads.
Also a good call on the sound card, I have been tempted to get one of these and I already have an STX - the DAC chip used is very highly regarded and the amp is no slouch either.

Associate
Right guys

I've finally made My decision.

I cancelled my order of the AKG K702 and ordered AKG K712 instead.

From reading an endless amount of reviews I want to sacrifice some competitiveness for 'fun'. I feel like I'd enjoy the AKG K712 a lot more. Also from reading an old post from @EsaT I could tweak EQ slightly to my preference.

I've ordered this with the Soundblaster AE-5. As I've only ever used the Asus Xonar 7.1 soundcard, I hope this will be a vast improvement :). From what I've seen I think it will be.

Managed to get K712 for £144 but refurbished, but from the company I purchased them from I do trust them, as I got a refurbished keyboard before and it looked brand new. I could have gotten them for £125 but I don't really trust CeX B grade product.

I got the Soundblaster AE-5 for £110.

You guys have been great help and would like to say thank you to everyone one of you!

I've just picked up some K712s also - think I know who that was from as that was the price I paid. Sadly, I sent mine back as they arrived dirty and clearly very, very used. Picked up a new set on a Prime deal for only £20 more. Early days yet but via my Soundblaster X7 they certainly seem to have the right tonal balance for me - at least on BF1 and Onrush that I've played so far. So light and comfy too. Enjoy yours :)

Soldato
@sreeve1993 I just realised after posting a thread a few minutes ago, that you asked the same question and it sounds like an absolute saga with the K702's? I'm still debating between the K702's (or something similar) and the Sennheiser GAME ZERO's for example.

It sounds like I'll need an amp or new soundcard instead of using my mobo if I go for the K702's?

Back
Top Bottom