Warming up / Heatsoaking

Associate
Had a random thought while sat at the pc.

whats peoples thoughts on warming up/heat soaking? by this I mean do you:

A - pc on, straight into gaming.

or

B - pc on, let it warm up and let components gradually heat up and become stable at idle before jumping in a game.

do you think there are any advantages/disadvantages to either option?

Soldato
If a computer has been running very hard (long period of 100% usage), then I let it simmer for a few mins before turning the computer off.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought this would be concerning stress testing and benchmarking TBH.

I usually consider the boot sequence to be enough really, by the time Steam and a game have loaded and you're in play, it's had some time to get up to temp.

If the system is properly saturated after an hour of gameplay I flip the fan controller switch from 5V to 9 or 12 and give it a couple minutes to flush the heat. Usually do this during a toilet or snack break.

Associate
Had a random thought while sat at the pc.

whats peoples thoughts on warming up/heat soaking? by this I mean do you:

A - pc on, straight into gaming.

or

B - pc on, let it warm up and let components gradually heat up and become stable at idle before jumping in a game.

do you think there are any advantages/disadvantages to either option?

syatVE8.gif

Soldato
Yeah that's one of the advantages, big heat capacity so brief bursts of heat have less effect. While sustained load will not gain from that, it's still useful in the right circumstances :)
That's also good for making it look more effective than it is if testing stress temperatures only for short time.

Soldato
That's also good for making it look more effective than it is if testing stress temperatures only for short time.
That's why it's not a proper stress test until you let the temperature stabilise. Even PSU testing, if you're thorough, because there will be additional fan current needed if the cooling system is working harder.

Back
Top Bottom