boot issue (motherboard)

Soldato
I have an Asus P8Z68 Pro gen3 motherboard.
I have finally narrowed this problem down to the board.

Board works perfectly with no issues once running, but if it is turned off after about 2 - 5 minutes it won't power back on, the power button just turns on the integrated reset button and nothing else happens.
either unplugging the power lead for a few minutes or disconnecting the 24 pin adaptor "resets" the motherboard and it is able to boot again.
If I put it in to standby it will fire up straight away as well.

I have tried different PSUs, different ram, different CPU, different/no GPU. all does the same.
Tried a different motherboard and the problem went away.

is this fixable or should I just bin it ?

Soldato
OP
Bios is latest one.
Cmos gets reset every time this happens.

But I had the battery out last night to test with a voltmeter as well which would have reset it.
That said it can't hurt to properly reset it and try it again tonight.

I have a Gigabyte Z68-ap D3 that I can use to replace it, but its not as good of a board so was hoping this one isn't dying.

Soldato
OP
I reset the CMOS, no joy :(

under normal circumstances when you press the power button, the green reset button on the board lights up, it does various checks and different LEDs on the board light up in sequence.

When the fault happens, the green reset button lights up and nothing else happens, no fans spin, no BIOS beeps, no leds.

This is testing it out of the case, with completely different components as well (different PSU/RAM/CPU) with nothing else connected.

Soldato
OP
Everything was overclocked but even removing them and resetting the BIOS results in the exact same behaviour.

I'll park the board as a spare, I have already put my older Z68 board in, got to reroute some cables and buy some adapters for fans now :)

Back
Top Bottom