Adrenaline junkies...

Associate
I had a mental 200sx, was mild mannered in the dry but when wet.. well, hairy baws needed to drive on the limit.
Blew it up (popped off a rocker arm with the TC cutting in at 7k and snapped the chain ect) to did a huge rebuild - then got bored and sold it.
Thats about as close i have came to a bike, and to be honest there were times when that thing gave me the *****... so a bike... well i would prob poo out all my guts just getting on the thing :p

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Lets put aside me, I was more interested in what everyone thinks taking into account having experienced both worlds of being a petrolhead.

Just get another bike and stop crashing...
2 of my crashes were because of a car, one on ice as a car stopped for no reason and 2nd pulled out on me... :/

Sadly not. Power and speed aside, no car can match the involvement of screaming a bike on its limits.
Or the the feel you get when the rear steps out and you start scraping the peg. :p Front slips ain't fun though...

I gave up biking 10 years ago (yet still have a username based on it :p), I used to ride everyday commuting and then often at the weekend with friends. Luckily I changed location of where I was working so gave me an excuse to be off if for a while before I finally made the decision to give it up. Plus I had had 10 good years of biking without any major accidents so thought best to get out whilst ahead (and with it still attached).

I've had a few different interesting cars since including some fast ones but there is car fast and then there's bike fast, nothing compares to the bikes. I'd love to have one again but to stay sharp on it and make no mistakes you need to ride constantly and then obviously the flip side of that is the more time on the road the more chance someone else will make a mistake and swipe you out.
I did look into trackdays, but considering the costs, I gave up on that idea as I want to start saving for a mortgage.

Even if he got a fun mx5 you know full well he'd be out trying to drift it
Already done, but in a IS200.

Nah, he'll be the first to try and do a stoppie in one.
lol

Titanium sliders on the wing mirrors y0! :p
kCiuQpoiHzs_S7qxo4YG7v9bS6_0cQgraTdXWVrYURc.jpg

I had a mental 200sx, was mild mannered in the dry but when wet.. well, hairy baws needed to drive on the limit.
Blew it up (popped off a rocker arm with the TC cutting in at 7k and snapped the chain ect) to did a huge rebuild - then got bored and sold it.
Thats about as close i have came to a bike, and to be honest there were times when that thing gave me the *****... so a bike... well i would prob poo out all my guts just getting on the thing :p
The last time I got moved in a car was as a passenger, whilst the guy initiated a drift at over 100mph sliding straight at the wall. :)

Soldato
Front slips ain't fun though...
I had the whole front brake assembly fall apart on me whilst commuting into work, going downhill around bends in the middle of winter with just the little rear brake to slow me down was interesting to say the least.

Also had a complete rear blow out at 100mph+ (obviously on a private road), both sphincter clenching moments! :p

Man of Honour
I don't think any road car can mimic the experience of a bike. I've only ridden two sports bikes - a ZXR750H2, and a 1994 Honda Fireblade. The performance for the money is just staggering, especially when you think of what you get in terms of mid 90s sports bikes for around a grand.

Soldato
Even if he got a fun mx5 you know full well he'd be out trying to drift it and inadvertently wrap it round a lamppost :p

Haha :D

But from my experience.... I got an MX5 after my first big accident and I couldn't ride for a year.
Knew I will probably never afford anything that can get the performance of a bike but I can get something thats a lot of fun to drive, still have my litre sportsbike but I very much enjoy driving the MX5 9 years on.... and about to supercharge it :D

Or another thing I have just done, get a Discovery and go off-roading, different kind of buzz :)

Soldato
Those who have moved to just a car, do you get the same buzz you did back when you rode a bike?
No.
I get a buzz, but it's a different kind of buzz.

I don't have an insanely fast bike, but it still beats a good many of them 0-60 and will do more than double the speed limit without even breathing hard. Add to that a very smooth throttle roll-on, almost no power band limitations and a massive weight for a bike... The buzz there is from a combination of speed thrill and handling skill, especially in traffic - Any idiot can floor it and blaze off in a straight line, but it takes a lot more to ride on the edge while surrounded by murderous retards in steel cages.

However, despite it being a big, slow, heavy lump, coming to a car felt like suddenly driving a bus having flown a fighter jet!

Soldato
Two cars I've driven come close a Dodge Viper and TVR Griffith 500. Maybe also a Renualt 5 with a tuned T5 engine. That was PDQ.

Maybe a Grinall or Atom would be close.

Caporegime
I don't think any road car can mimic the experience of a bike. I've only ridden two sports bikes - a ZXR750H2, and a 1994 Honda Fireblade. The performance for the money is just staggering, especially when you think of what you get in terms of mid 90s sports bikes for around a grand.

Aye my niece had a Honda CBR1100XX which was the fastest bike in the world in the late 90's. These can be had for £3k now which for 194mph is staggering. Went on the back of it a couple of times and there was nothing like it that I have experienced in car. She ended up in hospital for a few months though. Likewise a friend of mine. Tracked his bikes, owned a white van and was mad about it. He also spent several months in hospital. He now drives a turbo MX5 and sold all his bikes!

It is always something I have thought to dabble in but i'm not the safest driver at the best of times so would end up killing myself on a bike!

Man of Honour
Aye my niece had a Honda CBR1100XX which was the fastest bike in the world in the late 90's. These can be had for £3k now which for 194mph is staggering. Went on the back of it a couple of times and there was nothing like it that I have experienced in car. She ended up in hospital for a few months though. Likewise a friend of mine. Tracked his bikes, owned a white van and was mad about it. He also spent several months in hospital. He now drives a turbo MX5 and sold all his bikes!

It is always something I have thought to dabble in but i'm not the safest driver at the best of times so would end up killing myself on a bike!

That's part of what makes it so exciting, the risk.

I think even if you managed to find a car as fast as a bike (up to 1223 HP / 1000 kg for a Ducati V4S) the greatly reduced risk and lack of your body position making a difference means that it will never give you the same buzz.

Saying that I've broken a leg because of a motorcycle accident and I was very lucky not to break my back (I did a forward flip and landed on my back) so I completely understand people wanting as close an experience as possible with reduced risk.

Soldato
i'm not the safest driver at the best of times so would end up killing myself on a bike!
I've heard this no end of times from people... yet of those I have eventually convinced to try bikes, most ride very safely once you take away their cages and airbags and electro-auto-stability-safety systems. I've also known more people KSI'd in car (and HGV) accidents than bike ones....

Back
Top Bottom