• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti to Vega 64

Associate
I have just upgraded to a 270x and am currently using a 980ti.

I am not keen on Nvidia's business practices and have been reading that the next gen consoles will be using a unified cpu/gpu setup - which is likely to be an AMD system.

Would a Vega 64 be a reasonable upgrade for a 3440x1440 u/w monitor?

Soldato
Well it's the top AMD choice so it's that or looking higher at the 1080ti.

Personally although you say AMD, you should be waiting for the next gen Nvidia cards at this point.

However is your monitor FreeSync, Gysync or neither?

Soldato
Not a big enough jump in performance to warrant the price imo. Don't forget that AMD CPU/GPU powers the current xbox/Playstation and that has provided little to no benefit in owning an AMD card this generation.

Your 980ti when overclocked will perform at GTX 1070 levels and a VEGA 64 performs at GTX 1080 levels roughly so shady business practices or not that's big money to spend for not a great improvement

Associate
OP
Not a big enough jump in performance to warrant the price imo. Don't forget that AMD CPU/GPU powers the current xbox/Playstation and that has provided little to no benefit in owning an AMD card this generation.

Your 980ti when overclocked will perform at GTX 1070 levels and a VEGA 64 performs at GTX 1080 levels roughly so shady business practices or not that's big money to spend for not a great improvement

Maybe not in this current gen, but possibly the next one:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...e-game-changer-for-next-gen-console-in-theory

AMD cards usually have "longer legs" than the equivilent Nvidia cards.

Soldato
I had the 1070 and went from that to a Vega 64 and was happy with the jump in performance. It depends what price you will get for your 980Ti and what price you pay for the Vega 64. Of course, if you have a Freesync monitor, then if will feel like a bigger jump in performance.

Soldato

I am not keen on Nvidia's business practices and have been reading that the next gen consoles will be using a unified cpu/gpu setup - which is likely to be an AMD system.

Reference Vega 64 with latest drivers is around 50% faster than the GTX980Ti at those resolutions.
Add another 10% the Nitro+/Red Devil over the reference board is 60% over over the 980Ti. And that on DX11 the strong area of the Nvidia cards.

If you have Freesync monitor yes do it. If you plan to buy a monitor, I would advice you wait until the nanoIPS monitors by LG come out.

Personally downgraded from 1080Ti to Vega 64 because I do have Freesync monitor and going to buy one of those LG.

Last edited:
Associate
AMD cards usually have "longer legs" than the equivilent Nvidia cards.

I wouldn't say that's true of most amd cards , The 290 and 290x (390/390x) enjoyed a long life , it didn't help that their replacements , the 470 and 480 (570/580) were pretty much identical in performance giving the 290 series an almost immortal feel, but that was more down to a lack of development on Amd's part.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't say that's true of most amd cards , The 290 and 290x (390/390x) enjoyed a long life , it didn't help that their replacements , the 470 and 480 (570/580) were pretty much identical in performance giving the 290 series an almost immortal feel, but that was more down to a lack of development on Amd's part.

You forgot about the 7970 which also went on to last for ages. I doubt the Fury X will be in the same boat but that's mainly down to the 4gb of memory not being enough. It's mainly down to dx12/Vulkan where AMD cards really fly as there full potential is often unlocked. In dx11 this does not happen as much.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

I just want to finish my build off and could do with refershing the graphics. The 980ti is stil a good card, but I feel its just a bit off the pace with my ultra widescreen.
Checking the prices it seems the Vega 64 is virtually the same as the 1080.. and I dont want to pay £720-£800 for a 1080ti. I know there is supposed to be the 11/20 Nvidia card due out but god knows what they will be charging for them.

Permabanned

I've run both a Vega 64 & a GTX 1080 with my 3440x1440 Freesync monitor and out of the two the better experience was with the Vega 64, Freesync obviously gives the V 64 the upper hand but I'm talking frame rates not the overall experience. With the games I was playing at that time I found that the Vega 64 gave slightly better framerates.

Vega 56 under volted will perform about the same as V64, as it's thermal limited.

We hear this a lot, The same thing was said about the 290 and Fiji Pro but it's not true, yes you can get them to match a stock 290x or Fury X etc but if you're messing around with one you should be doing so with the other to make it a fair comparison. Plus you have the silicon lottery and pricing to consider. As an example today the Powercolor Red Devil 64 is only £20 more than the Red Devil 56,
I don't see why anyone would even consider the 56 with those prices?

Permabanned
Just few days old review with latest drivers

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asrock_phantom_gaming_x_radeon_rx580_8g_oc_review,11.html

As for the Nitro/Red devil against reference have a look here

Good video as it proves what we already know, You should always buy a Vega card from an AMD only brand.

I would have liked to see the Gigabyte included. I'm pretty sure it would have sat around the reference from what we've seen of them.

Fan speeds were interesting.

Soldato
Good video as it proves what we already know, You should always buy a Vega card from an AMD only brand.

I would have liked to see the Gigabyte included. I'm pretty sure it would have sat around the reference from what we've seen of them.

Yeah. Also is the extra touches always Sapphire did to the top of the range.
Look at the Nitro+ just got. It has scaffolding (aka bracket) to keep the card straight and not sag. A simple inexpensive solution on a card costs £500 which is lighter card than the Aorus 1080Ti Xtreme £700 (£900 now) behemoth, which bulged from the moment I put it on last year, taking an nice bend shape.

Back
Top Bottom