Birmingham City Ladies/Women

Man of Honour
Absolutely no problem with it at all, merely wanted opinions on whether the term is now considered derogative.
It's not derogative by itself when used in its correct context, thought its arguably patronising here in the context of there being 'men' and 'ladies' football teams when there is no reason not to use 'woman' instead, especially as the use of 'ladies' has connotations of politeness and of a certain social standing that have no bearing whatsoever of a woman football team (save perhaps through the eyes of a sexist man who finds the idea of women playing sport 'dainty').

Man of Honour
I would play for this team on the proviso that the supply of canes and monocles was included in the subs.

It would have to carry on to the field as well:

"Referee, please don't give this fellow a yellow card. His tackle on me was a little spirited, but he has assured me that no malice was intended and it would be unseemly to doubt his word."

When the opposing team scores, polite applause should be given and perhaps some calls of "good show!" if it was a skillful goal.

It would certainly be an interesting change in football.

Someone allegedly summed up two sports by saying "Football is a gentleman's game played by barbarians. Rugby is a barbarian's game played by gentlemen". I think it's probably apocryphal.

Soldato
if they had to change a male voice choir, why is this allowed to be called a ladies/women/wenches team? surely it'd only be fair to let men join too?

Soldato
It would have to carry on to the field as well:

"Referee, please don't give this fellow a yellow card. His tackle on me was a little spirited, but he has assured me that no malice was intended and it would be unseemly to doubt his word."

When the opposing team scores, polite applause should be given and perhaps some calls of "good show!" if it was a skillful goal.

It would certainly be an interesting change in football.

Someone allegedly summed up two sports by saying "Football is a gentleman's game played by barbarians. Rugby is a barbarian's game played by gentlemen". I think it's probably apocryphal.

Significant disciplinary issues to be handled by way of a duel.

Caporegime
Absolutely no problem with it at all, merely wanted opinions on whether the term is now considered derogative.

I've always thought how the American use it when talking to a stranger seems weirdly rude.

"Hey lady! Move your car, I'm tryin' to drive here!"

Also, the only time I hear it in the UK is when some creepy Essex boy slides up to hit on people "Ello ladies, how we doin'?"

:D

Back
Top Bottom