I can't make sense of this DBS question, to declare or not to?

Associate
Hoping I can get your guys opinion on this. So unfortunately about five years ago I attained a caution for ABH and most jobs nowadays ask about cautions and convictions. On two recent occassions I have been asked by agencies (through application forms) if I have any "unspent criminal convictions". On both occassions there was a statement above the question, not easy to follow, jargon about "unspent conviction and cautions... in accordance with Police Act... Please refer to...". However, the question in itself never mentions cautions, so I opted for no.

I'm awaiting responses but both interview could not of went better. My main question is whether I contact them and explain this providing details of the caution, or have I been in my right? I really wish I could remember the above statement, but both times I was being watched and nobody with a clean record would glance twice before signing. During the second interview I did give it a few read through's, from what I can make out I THINK it was just guidance in to the acts surrounding unspent cautions and convictions.

Associate
OP
A caution is not a criminal conviction.

It will only show up on the higher level DBS checks when applying for specific jobs such as working with children.

You shouldn't declare it.

These were my thoughts also.

It will show on an enhanced DBS, so depends on the job and what level of check they are doing

This is kind of what baffles me. They haven't mentioned anything about a DBS so far, although I'd imagine with such a form they will, unless its protocol for all employers? I dont know. Even so, its the question of whether I am in my right to maintain privacy surrounding the caution, only for the fact the question never stated cautions.

Soldato
I've had to be enhanced vetted for working in a data centre, with no children or elderly :p I think it was CRB back then

I'm not sure if the system has changed recently, but employers are not allowed to request standard/enhanced checks unless you role falls with the DBS guidelines.

Eligibility for an enhanced check is very uncommon. It apparently details things that you've never even been cautioned for. Accusations, any other information the authorities hold on you. It's essentially "your file".

Soldato
I'm not sure if the system has changed recently, but employers are not allowed to request standard/enhanced checks unless you role falls with the DBS guidelines.

Eligibility for an enhanced check is very uncommon. It apparently details things that you've never even been cautioned for. Accusations, any other information the authorities hold on you. It's essentially "your file".

Pretty sure “accusations” are not covered.

Caporegime

You got any sauce for this? I've had a few enhanced checks and never heard any of this.

Associate
Firstly - check if your caution is spent or not. I think cautions are spent immediately, but I'm not 100% sure. In which case you should be fine.

If you're indeed having a DBS check completed, I'd think this would have been clear in the pack you completed. There are filtering guidelines for all DBS checks (inc. enhanced). However with enhanced it is up to the police (not sure who) to decide if there is anything else relevant they need to disclose.

By the sounds of it, you should be fine. I'd be very surprised if you're having a DBS done and don't know about it.

You got any sauce for this? I've had a few enhanced checks and never heard any of this.

From gov website:

There are 3 types of check you can carry out as an organisation:

• a standard check shows spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings
  • an enhanced check shows the same as a standard check plus any information held by local police that’s considered relevant to the role
  • an enhanced check with barred lists shows the same as an enhanced check plus whether the applicant is on the list of people barred from doing the role.

Associate
Worst case, given the poor wording ‘to your best knowledge’ you thought it was.

That’s worst case. From what you have described so far is that you have not got any outstanding or unspent criminal convictions.

Back
Top Bottom