Vodafone broadband issues.. (spec me a better ISP?)

Associate
Short story: spec me a new ISP which is good and is around 21£ <30£

Long story:
Last month I decided to cancel virgin (50£ for just a <20MB internet, i dont use telephone/tv) was too expensive for me. So i decided to go for vodafone.

the whole month they didnt say anything. Couple (/few) days before the supposed activation date I chatted to them saying whether if their offering is FTTH or FTTC, the girl assured me its FTTH but i KNOW i dont have FTTH and told her so but she completely ignored me.

Come activation date, and nothing happened, chatted to them again and they said someone will come today but no one did.. they said they had to do something to my cabinet but I queried why no checks were made the whole month previous.. why did I have to contact them to get updates

I called them today as no engineer came and they then told me that oh he didnt come (Obviously!) and that he will come tomorrow..

Tbh the lack of updates, the willingness to do anything substantial is irking me and not giving me confidence. (They did offer 50GB internet on my mum's phone but its a headache trying to connect via my pc and when she leaves home then i am left with nothing) - even tweeted them and they ignored my tweet..

Soldato
They're at the mercy of BT Openreach. You've got no way of knowing whether it's Vodafone at fault or not.

Personally I'm still happy with Plusnet as an ISP.

Paying £50 for 20Meg with Virgin? That makes no sense at all.

The only answer to an ignored tweet is to report them to OFCOM.

Soldato
We have two home users on the Vodafone service, both new, additional line, installs and we’ve had no issues.

As others have pointed out, they are basically another Openreach line reseller and as such you’re dealing with a call centre and they then deal with Openreach. I think we’re paying something like 23+VAT per month for 76/20 VDSL and the lines are stable and uptime is every bit as good as the BT lines installed at the same houses.

I’m currently dealing with 7 UK ISPs because of carryover deals and Director’s whims (our IT Director DEMANDED Andrews & Arnold) and Vodafone are no better or worse than the others because I generally don’t have any issues with any of them.

I’ve seen PlusNet loved and loathed, TalkTalk I think operate differently in the Business sector from the Domestic so they’re one of my best suppliers and while I personally wouldn’t have Virgin, they’re cheap and the service is very fast once it realises you’ve asked the internet to send you some data.

I think once you have your Vodafone line installed, you’ll be happy enough. These things are a real pain the backside unfortunately.

Associate
OP
surely all vodafone had to do was confirm with OPenReach or even me whether i had FTTH or not.. i clearly didnt :s when contacting them before activation date and telling them as such they didnt believe me obv and said everything will be fine.

Soldato
surely all vodafone had to do was confirm with OPenReach or even me whether i had FTTH or not.. i clearly didnt :s when contacting them before activation date and telling them as such they didnt believe me obv and said everything will be fine.

If you knew you didn’t (and it’s very visibly different) why ask?

The only person dealing with your install from Vodafone is the person you are chatting with/calling. Everything else is Openreach. You could spend £60/month with A&A and other than getting great sympathy from them, you wouldn’t be any further forward. In another thread someone had FTTP installed through Zen and initially it was pants. Zen were great. Unfortunately it was a Openreach who were doing the work. Pretty much the only big provider who don’t use a Openreach are Virgin.

Fundamentally, this is all about the contact experience. If you don’t like the contact experience then pay more with someone who isn’t Vodafone. If Crinkleshoes reckons they’re a disaster then he’s dealing with enough issues you can probably say he has a good sample. Personally, I have had no issues so no contact with Vodafone and it’s cheap and I’m happy.

Soldato
It is cheap, but you can get ADSL with line rental for a similar cost elsewhere.

For example Plusnet will charge you £19.99/month for ADSL and are offering a £50 prepaid card as a sweetener.

Associate
so which one would you prefer or recommend should i say.

Going with nowtv is prehaps your best bet, if the service is rubbish then you can cancel anytime as there is a no contract option.

37132286_10156558021922375_7333600428208160768_n.jpg

Soldato
Talk Talk is £25 a month for 50-80mb (18 month contract) with no activation.

It doesn't really matter what ISP you get, all the mainstream ones are basically the same when it comes to service. They are all great until something goes wrong at which point they are all garbage. The product they sell is indistinguishable to 99% of people, just buy which ever is cheapest.

Back
Top Bottom