Buying new fridge freezer

Soldato
Guys, I've shortlisted 3 fridge freezers in my price range up to £400 which I'll talk about in a second.

About delivering a fridge freezer.
The house has a shared hall and then my door which opens into my own hallway of the flat I own.

I've been doing some measuring and it's going to be tricky getting a fridge freezer down my narrow hallway, so the maximum width of a fridge can only be 60cm. In fact I think it'll need to be manoeuvred unboxed which is a bit of a worry as there'll hardly be any space either side. I think it'll first have to come through the sash window of my front room as it will be easier to get it into my hall than from the shared hall.

In order to get it into my hall (before it gets carried down to my kitchen), there's no way it can be tipped horizontally as there's no room to turn it. So the delivery people will have to do that bit while it's upright. It'll just be 2 or 3 feet through the door of my front room into the hall. I think I should be able to avoid removing the front room door. And then they can tip it for the rest of the move. Do you think they'll be ok with that?

Anyway, I saw a Grundig fridge freezer which I like in brushed steel. It comes with a 5 year guarantee which is good. And it has handles which I prefer over integrated grips. It's just more satisfying pulling on handles. But it doesn't have open door alarm or fast freezer function which would be nice functions to have, especially open door alarm. Anyone here think I should or shouldn't be too bothered about those?

The other two fridges are by Hisense and Kenwood.
Both have integrated grips which is a shame. However,

Kenwood has open door alarm, fast freeze, digital temp control and only 1 year guarantee £330 https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...50-50-fridge-freezer-silver-10175595-pdt.html

Hisense has open door alarm and temperature alarm, fast freeze, digital temp control and 2 year guarantee £350 https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...stainless-steel-10178380-pdt.html#srcid=11026

Grundig is the smallest and slightly easier to deliver through my hall. No alarms or fast freeze function, basic wheel for adjusting temp but 5 year guarantee and does have handles. And on this one they take away my old fridge for free. £350
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...ridge-freezer-brushed-steel-10155194-pdt.html

I just can't decide which one, lol.

Last edited:
Associate
The guys from AO who delivered my Samsung American FF wore harness's and used straps under the unit to manoeuvre it with one of them either side.
They unpacked it outside, and admittedly it sounds like my route is slightly less arduous than yours, they managed with no damage to anything on the way.

Associate
I bought a very similar Kenwood model to the one you listed at the beginning of the year and I'm absolutely delighted with it, absolutely zero frost build up so far, insides are well made and easy to clean and absolutely loads of space, even though mine is a 60/40 split compared to your 50/50 on the Kenwood and mine has handles, and past experience with Kenwood kitchen equipment has always been good, mainly mixers and blenders back in my days of hard graft in kitchens.
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...7-60-40-fridge-freezer-inox-10156660-pdt.html

No experience with Grundig and only Hisense I have used is my parents tv, so still no help regarding fridges, good luck though!

Soldato
OP
The guys from AO who delivered my Samsung American FF wore harness's and used straps under the unit to manoeuvre it with one of them either side.
They unpacked it outside, and admittedly it sounds like my route is slightly less arduous than yours, they managed with no damage to anything on the way.

Interesting. I like that your experience of delivery from AO is positive and that they used harnesses. Moving a fridge in my place would definitely be better with those or perhaps a trolley base with wheels for moving it upright. I somehow doubt Currys delivery will be as meticulous, so I'll take a look on the AO site and see what they've got for me.

I bought a very similar Kenwood model to the one you listed at the beginning of the year and I'm absolutely delighted with it, absolutely zero frost build up so far, insides are well made and easy to clean and absolutely loads of space, even though mine is a 60/40 split compared to your 50/50 on the Kenwood and mine has handles, and past experience with Kenwood kitchen equipment has always been good, mainly mixers and blenders back in my days of hard graft in kitchens.
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...7-60-40-fridge-freezer-inox-10156660-pdt.html

No experience with Grundig and only Hisense I have used is my parents tv, so still no help regarding fridges, good luck though!

Ah yes, yours was the first Kenwood model I looked at in the shop, it was placed right next to the Grundig. Very nice, more spacious than the Grundig and as you mentioned has the handles which I want. Has fast freeze too but not the open door alarm. Unless yours has the open door alarm and hopefully they got the spec slightly wrong? The Kenwood I listed without handles is similar capacity, with fast freeze and open door alarm. I wish the open door alarm was standard on all fridges, then I'd definitely go for the one you have.

When I looked inside the Hisense fridge, the design of the trays in the door was identical to the Kenwood which makes me wonder if Hisense is made or owned by Kenwood. I did learn that Grundig is owned by Beko, and the interiors also have some identical designs.

Associate
Interesting. I like that your experience of delivery from AO is positive and that they used harnesses. Moving a fridge in my place would definitely be better with those or perhaps a trolley base with wheels for moving it upright. I somehow doubt Currys delivery will be as meticulous, so I'll take a look on the AO site and see what they've got for me.

Ah yes, yours was the first Kenwood model I looked at in the shop, it was placed right next to the Grundig. Very nice, more spacious than the Grundig and as you mentioned has the handles which I want. Has fast freeze too but not the open door alarm. Unless yours has the open door alarm and hopefully they got the spec slightly wrong? The Kenwood I listed without handles is similar capacity, with fast freeze and open door alarm. I wish the open door alarm was standard on all fridges, then I'd definitely go for the one you have.

When I looked inside the Hisense fridge, the design of the trays in the door was identical to the Kenwood which makes me wonder if Hisense is made or owned by Kenwood. I did learn that Grundig is owned by Beko, and the interiors also have some identical designs.
I haven't checked but it is certainly possible they are in the same umbrella corporation structure or they just did what many firms do and 'borrow' designs, no door alarm on mine no, although I haven't ever needed one either to be honest, the door is more than happy closing itself with even the slightest force if the door is fully loaded or empty, the only actual problem so far is the main door shelf, while easy to clean is pretty slippy, so if you have glass jar they do slide around a bit if it's not filled, not to the point they would fall out at all but it was a little unsettling the first couple of days until I realised it was fine.

I did have mine from Curry's as well though, and delivery was quick and easy and as dholdi said about AO, packaging was all removed outside and then taken away with them, they did take my old unit away as well but that did cost me about £20 or so, can't remember the exact amount.

Soldato
OP
Well I found my fridge! Another Kenwood model. Never spotted this one before but it's a 70/30 and has all the features I want plus a couple more, and handles! https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...dge-freezer-stainless-steel-10116573-pdt.html

There is one possibly huge problem though, it's huge and is 72.5cm depth. While the 59.5cm width is ok to go down my hall, I need to push this sideways (the depth side) through my door to the hall and I don't think I have more than about 68/69cm between the damn door frame.

Associate
Well I found my fridge! Another Kenwood model. Never spotted this one before but it's a 70/30 and has all the features I want plus a couple more, and handles! https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...dge-freezer-stainless-steel-10116573-pdt.html

There is one possibly huge problem though, it's huge and is 72.5cm depth. While the 59.5cm width is ok to go down my hall, I need to push this sideways (the depth side) through my door to the hall and I don't think I have more than about 68/69cm between the damn door frame.
congrats, and yes that is an absolute monster

Associate

+1 with AO, same experience when they delivered ours (https://ao.com/product/ms91518ffs-fridgemaster-american-fridge-freezer-silver-41249-27.aspx). Carried up the side of the house, through the conservatory and into the kitchen. Couldn't fault it, but it doesnt sound that hard compared to what you are talking about.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
+1 for AO delivery. I can also recommend John Lewis.

If you buy a fridge freezer with reversible hinges (i.e. can have it open from either the left or right side) then that likely means the doors can be removed to reduce its depth. Check the manual for how quick/easy this is to do.

Soldato
OP
congrats, and yes that is an absolute monster

Hmm, I'm not going to buy it now. Though it will fit in my kitchen, it's for a family of 2 or 3 and is ridiculously tall and deep considering it's just me living here. And if anything went wrong it would be a nightmare trying to get it out, not to mention a nightmare getting it in!

Pity as it's got all the features I want. I'm incredibly fussy unfortunately. I've looked at almost every fridge freezer and I can't find what I want in the right size, right colour and right price. I might end up with the same Kenwood that you've got as the size, price and finish is fine. Only thing missing from it is the open door alarm but meh, guess it's not the end of the world.

One other I'm going out now to take a look at is this Samsung.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...70-30-fridge-freezer-silver-21019362-pdt.html

With their £30 discount code It's still £140 more than my budget and is silver where I preferred a brushed stainless look. But it's a good size and fully featured. Their spec says no door alarm but the Samsung site says it does have one.

Associate
Hmm, I'm not going to buy it now. Though it will fit in my kitchen, it's for a family of 2 or 3 and is ridiculously tall and deep considering it's just me living here. And if anything went wrong it would be a nightmare trying to get it out, not to mention a nightmare getting it in!

Pity as it's got all the features I want. I'm incredibly fussy unfortunately. I've looked at almost every fridge freezer and I can't find what I want in the right size, right colour and right price. I might end up with the same Kenwood that you've got as the size, price and finish is fine. Only thing missing from it is the open door alarm but meh, guess it's not the end of the world.

One other I'm going out now to take a look at is this Samsung.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...70-30-fridge-freezer-silver-21019362-pdt.html

With their £30 discount code It's still £140 more than my budget and is silver where I preferred a brushed stainless look. But it's a good size and fully featured. Their spec says no door alarm but the Samsung site says it does have one.

nothing at all wrong in being picky on something that is a hefty investment and is intended to give you years of daily service, that Samsung is a beauty as well, I've looked at some other photos of that samsung and as you say it is a shinier finish so will probably show up marks a lot easier especially if you have kids around or pets brushing past it with wet fur and the like.

Soldato
Another good experience with AO delivery here.

Forgetting the fact that they came at 7AM on a Sunday morning :eek: they were great. After much measuring and head scratching we worked out a route to the kitchen. They removed it from the packaging, I had to remove 2 internal doors (they gave me a hand) and still only had mm to spare, but they were clearly very well practised and it went without a hitch.

Associate
Is an open door alarm really that much of a big deal? How many times would that have come in useful over the last 5 years? Personally I can't think of any!

Soldato
Would have gone for metal rear panel... Tbh it should be a regulation by now but law is slow.

Which already black listed all models with plastic backs. We've just grabbed a bosch 70/30 integrated for I think about 500 the same you're looking at.

Soldato
OP
Is an open door alarm really that much of a big deal? How many times would that have come in useful over the last 5 years? Personally I can't think of any!

Tbh, it's only because there's been a few times my fridge door has been slightly open when I didn't realise until sometime later. However it's a really old hotpoint undercounter fridge where the door doesn't have the strong magnetic pull of newer fridges and sometimes the salad box at the bottom was obstructing the closing slightly. So yea, in reality, probably won't really need it. The problem with me though is that whenever I want to buy a new gadget I always end up over-researching, finding out what features things have and then I'm like "omg, I must have that,.. and that...oh and that!" :p

Another good experience with AO delivery here.

Forgetting the fact that they came at 7AM on a Sunday morning :eek: they were great. After much measuring and head scratching we worked out a route to the kitchen. They removed it from the packaging, I had to remove 2 internal doors (they gave me a hand) and still only had mm to spare, but they were clearly very well practised and it went without a hitch.

I really would like to buy from AO as I don't think Curry's delivery will be bothered in spending the time and giving the kind of help you described. I looked at every fridge on AO and didn't find what I wanted, but I'll have another look.

If I order online from Currys, then can deliver it through my front sash window into my front room and if they don't want to manouever it through my flat, then I've got a builder coming next week who did say to me he'd be with 3 or 4 men who could easily take a fridge over a couple of garden fences and into my kitchen without needing to come through my hall.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Would have gone for metal rear panel... Tbh it should be a regulation by now but law is slow.

Which already black listed all models with plastic backs. We've just grabbed a bosch 70/30 integrated for I think about 500 the same you're looking at.

The Kenwood model that angel102 linked above is probably the one I'm buying and it comes with a flat metal backing. To be honest, it's the best backing I saw in the shop, really can barely see any components. Even the Samsung models didn't look as good at the back.

Soldato
OP
I just found a beauty of a fridge on AO as I'm looking in a slightly higher price range now. A Hisense. I really want this one as it looks great and has all the features I want.

https://ao.com/product/rb403n4ac2-hisense-fridge-freezer-stainless-steel-27927-28.aspx

Out of stock though and as far as I can tell, discontinued. But supposedly going to be available again soon according to AO. Appliancesdirect also listing it for the same price saying delivery from 24th August though not sure I'm prepared to wait that long.

But there's this one as well which is in stock. Might go for it.

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/...rb419n4wc1-freestanding-fridge-freezer#/specs

Anyone know if appliancesdirect are as good as AO with delivery?

Last edited:
Associate
The problem with me though is that whenever I want to buy a new gadget I always end up over-researching, finding out what features things have and then I'm like "omg, I must have that,.. and that...oh and that!" :p

I completely understand where you're coming from there!

Soldato
The Kenwood model that angel102 linked above is probably the one I'm buying and it comes with a flat metal backing.
what's the attraction of metal backing ... it eventually rusts ? and plastic is a better insulator ... presumably the condensor coil is still visible.

mistakes I've made is fridge not big enough in split units ... so 70/30 all the way, can always get a small freezer in the garage or elsewhere .

quite like gorenge as a make eg
they make a lot of stuff for others and had bought up asko ( my washing machine from them is >10years in)

Back
Top Bottom