Triathlon tips?

Soldato
Anyone done one. Any tips. Pace yourself is probably the best tip. I can't even last 4 lengths front crawl without a break never mind 30 lengths. How about you, could you comfortably do all the required distances individually before race day?

I do however have a while to train.

Soldato
I’m signed up for my first Sprint in 8 weeks time. As a cyclist I’m aiming for don’t drown in the swim, smash the bike and hang on for be run. Simple!

Soldato
I did triathlon for a year in 2016 and completed two Olympics, a half Ironman and a full Ironman.

I couldn't swim more than 25m without being knackered but I put a LOT of time into training my front crawl and got a coaching session and in the end managed to swim all the required distances, albeit slowly. I'm more of a cyclist/runner.

What distance are you doing? It's important to have a nutrition plan for the race and to test all the products you intend to use before so you don't end up in digestive distress! I would also stress the importance of brick training. That is to go out and do a bike ride and as soon as you get home put the running shoes on and go for a run.

Associate
Did a sprint and a Half Iron last year. None this year as I became a dad over the winter and sport took a sideline. I used tostruggle with distance swimming but I read Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin and worked on some of the exercises. It totally transformed my swimming, particularly the breathing aspect. Well worth a read.

Soldato
I started triathlon in 2016 when I was 41 and have been hooked ever since. I had to learn how to swim from scratch pretty much and whilst I'm a decent cyclist my run was pretty poor. Over that time my training has progressed and I've entered longer and tougher events, I'll be doing my third half iron distance race this year in 2 weeks at Challenge Paguera. I've entered my first full Ironman (IM Wales) next year.

Whilst you can do all of this on your own I have found joining a club invaluable. You meet a lot of like minded and friendly people and you pick up so many tips from experienced members who all remember what it was like starting out. My main advice would be to join a local Tri club, you won't regret it. Also, keep chipping away at the things that you're weak on. For me it was my swimming and I can now comfortably swim 5k at a decent pace.

Soldato
I'm doing my first duathlon next weekend with a view to get into full triathlons next year.

I'm pretty confident with my bike/run but my swim definitely needs work!

Associate
I'm doing my first duathlon next weekend with a view to get into full triathlons next year.

I'm pretty confident with my bike/run but my swim definitely needs work!

Moorgreen by any chance? I also entered and depending on my Saturday plans will be taking part - my first also, still not done a run and a bike in quick transition in training so might give it a miss as not entirely confident I could complete the second 5km but will see....

Soldato
It's actually down south at Bowood House. Should be a nice course through the grounds.

I've been training a bit and have done the run/bike/run a few times on the weekend. The bike will be different as no traffic to contend with and not much in the way of hills (I don't think!).

Still pretty anxious though as no real idea of what I'm doing.

Soldato
I did my first sprint a month ago and loved it. All the technical things I worried about were absolutely fine - things like transition is simple and who cares if you take 30s longer to put your shoes on than someone else anyway? It was a huge range of abilities from disc wheels to older ladies out for a bit of exercise. So my advice is to just have a go and don’t stress the little things.

Back
Top Bottom