I got a week to burn - Lisbon or San Francisco?

Caporegime
Yes I know they are miles apart…:p

If its San Francisco I will extend it a further day either end to make up for the flight difference but what do people recommend? This will be the middle of November.

Price not a concerned, I am already budgeted for San Francisco but I can only find things to do for about 2 days, beyond Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, China Town and Fisherman's Wharf and perhaps the Japanese Tea Garden (which will not be the same compare to the real thing i went to…) I wonder if San Francisco is worth actually a whole week…

Similarly, what is there to do in Lisbon?

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Having done both, I would say San Fran, the things you have mentioned are all worth doing.
Make sure you also check out the Ghirardelli Chocolate factory in SF, amazing little place to visit for an afternoon.
I would also do the tick off stuff, like Pier 39 and Lombard Street just so you can say you have done it at least! They are good fillers for a half day doing something else.
Shopping is also pretty good in SF if you are so inclined.
You can also hop over to Oakland and do the "Oakland Museum of California" not been myself, but I hear from people who have been it was great!

Sea Fishing from SF is also a blast if you have a whole day to spare, and the stomach for boats. I really enjoyed it :)

I would add that i was in Lisbon for work, so did not get in as much stuff, it did seem to largely revolve around food!

Caporegime
Out of the two I’d go for SF. Just a cooler place to go to imo. Plus, all the stuff you’ve listed sounds great.

Oh, and I’d have to go to Ike’s place for a sandwich, just to see what the fuss is all about.

Soldato
Which ever is warmer in November would be the reason for me :)

Plus on a side note as a photographer,I would also chose San Francisco for the photos.

Soldato
San Francisco, so many things to do, all them things you mentioned are great, also there is the woods across Golden Gate Bridge (Muir Woods) I think. We went there but unfortunately it rained heavy that day so didn't explore them. We went in 99" for 1 week. 1 week is short but we managed to fit in loads of stuff, like what you mentioned.
You can also get a boat from Fishermans Wharf to a nice little harbour just past Alcatraz.

Soldato
San fran. You'll definitely need more than 2 days. I was there for 3 days and it wasn't enough it meant a lot of rushing around and not doing everything I wanted to.

Xon

Xon

Associate
San Francisco for 4 days - then get a car and do Monterey / Carmel by the sea or even an overnight stay at Yosemite...

Caporegime
OP
I originally wanted to do both San Francisco and then Seattle in the same trip but I don't have enough time to do both, plus that kind of trip escalates the costs somewhat in-proportionally.

The other idea is go to Tromso to see the Northern lights but i will need to spend a few hundred of winter gear just for a few days….I am really actually open to ideas, literally opened up Google Flights with the dates and left the destination blank and see what i can get.

I am already going to HK/Taiwan in October and then Vienna in December so whilst i budgeted for San Francisco, i want to keep it under £1k.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
San Fran. When we went it was the month of April for a five day break. The weather very deceptive and visiting The Rock - don't go in a T-Shirt unless it's a decent day, bloody freezing!

I really enjoyed the food! If you hire a car you could consider a trip to Carmel/Monterey, a lazy road trip, scenic route and decent places to stop for something to eat.

Also before you go - watch Dirty Harry and Bullitt, I ended up trying to spot the locations. :p

Soldato
I don't think the weather in San Francisco would be that great? It's not LA.

I'd say Lisbon and save the west coast of the states for a longer trip.

Back
Top Bottom