persistant pin pestering

Soldato
so i've just refreshed my laptop with a new ssd, fresh ISO install of w10

however it seems to be they've made w10 even worse, every time i sign in it gives me the "you should set up a pin, we think you'll like it", which is bloody annoying if you don't want a goddamn pin.

so i've "fixed" it by setting a pin as my normal password (which will be a pita to remember to change next time i change account passwords), however it's not the only screw up.

now when i sign in there's a windows explorer window open, well, the icon says it's open and it's "microsoft account sign in" but there's no way to click on it.

currently wishing i'd opted for the w7 iso now.....

Man of Honour
Yeah all the systems I actually want to use where possible I've put back on Windows 7 sadly some don't have drivers for earlier than 10. MS seem to have forgotten or just don't that the primary purpose of a desktop OS is to enable the end user.

Capodecina
Soldato
This (Windows 10) insistence that you do as Microsoft tell you is why I dread the day that I will be forced to use Window 10.

ComputerAct!ve magazine recently (Issue 532 - 18th to 31st July 2018) suggested that despite the fact that Windows 7 is still running happily on some 40% of Windows computers Microsoft might be planning to "kill off" Windows 7 before January 14th, 2020.
  • Microsoft no longer responds to problems about Windows 7 on its forums
  • Microsoft has decided not to fix an SSE2 related bug in Windows 7 security update KB4088875
Back to Linux again perhaps?

Soldato
OP
thing is it was running w10 before, and didn't have this problem. all i did was put in a new ssd and go for an iso to stop it from having to go through 8>updates>8.1>updates>10>updates (with it failing every time taking a day to reset) which takes literally 2 weeks.

its a shame because *some* of the stuff in w10 is decent, like the tiling windows, but they seem to couple that with inexcusable problems like the backwards compatibility roulette and now this bs.

Soldato
OP
another one for the list, the goddamn game bar constant pestering "you know you can record right?" FFS I GOT THE MESSAGE THE FIRST TIME AFTER WHICH I CEASED GIVING A MONKEYS

when did microsoft consider it was ok to get rid of the simple and effective "don't show me this again" box.

swear to god one more of these annoying things and it's back to w7....

Man of Honour
Should be able to turn off the gamebar/DVR stuff from the control panel and not have it pop up again - though like a lot of things in 10 intended behaviour and actual behaviour in the real world can vary quite a lot.

I won't have Windows 10 anywhere near my gaming PC though - I've had modal dialogs popup in front of games before (notification related often updates) because Windows decides whatever it is doing is more important than what I am - not good when you are playing a multiplayer game with people depending on you, etc.

Instead of sorting the root behaviour - largely things that weren't even a problem until they made it a problem by utterly brain-dead implementations of features they've stuck in largely useless "features" like quiet hours which doesn't take into account that for instance people often don't have set times they use their PC, etc. and blow constantly adjusting the quiet hours window to try and stop Windows interfering when it shouldn't even do so.

Back
Top Bottom