The Island of Capri

Associate
OP
Yeah I noticed that a few years ago the prices are starting very very dear or no price at all which means mega expensive in my experience! We are not to bad we don’t go on holiday to shop it’s eat and drink and explore maybe less of the explore for the honeymoon like. We have 5 days on the mainland for places like Amalfi and Positano which we only drove past last time and maybe even fit in Pompeii/vesuvio if possible

Soldato
Yeah I noticed that a few years ago the prices are starting very very dear or no price at all which means mega expensive in my experience! We are not to bad we don’t go on holiday to shop it’s eat and drink and explore maybe less of the explore for the honeymoon like. We have 5 days on the mainland for places like Amalfi and Positano which we only drove past last time and maybe even fit in Pompeii/vesuvio if possible

While Pompeii is nice, make sure you see Herculaneum, much better preserved. Positano was lovely, Amalfi less so. Just get the local bus loads cheaper and you get as much time as you like in each place.
Don't know when you are there but historical sites are free on the first Sunday of a month, decent saving as we did Pompeii and Herculaneum in the same day. Vesuvius was my biggest regret it was just rubbish, absolutely nothing to see.

Associate
OP
We are there the 2nd -9th of October so falls into that category but getting married in the Saturday and off to Capri on the Sunday so I wouldn’t be able to take advantage but that’s good to know I can tell the rest of the guests about it they will maybe go, think Vesuvius would just be a crater really?
So Pompeii, Herculaneum added to the list!

Soldato
yes sorry to say Capri was frustrating. stupid expensive for the boat there and then looooong queues for buses and any of the activities. overpriced etc
it's one of those odd things though, when you are in the sorrento area you are thinking you are missing out and just have to go

Associate
OP
Yeah we just like to make the most out of everywhere we go as we most likely won’t be back, usually like to go to somewhere new every time we pick a holiday. I don’t think we will be back to Sorrento/Amalfi area again, we went over a couple years ago for the romantic look/theme for our wedding and to book it , then back again to get married in October then that will probably be us seen and done everything there!

Soldato
Yeah we just like to make the most out of everywhere we go as we most likely won’t be back, usually like to go to somewhere new every time we pick a holiday. I don’t think we will be back to Sorrento/Amalfi area again, we went over a couple years ago for the romantic look/theme for our wedding and to book it , then back again to get married in October then that will probably be us seen and done everything there!

i'm the same, i wanted to make the most of it while i was there as i doubt i'll be back
don't regret going but was just taken aback by the sheer busyness. it was made worse for me though as i only had 6 hrs there including the boat over and then waiting in queues for everything. if you have a few days it will be more relaxed and you can kind of take your time

Soldato
I went for a day when I was quite young wiht my mum and sister. Probably 20 years ago. Thought it was lovely. Didn't get all the above about it being hideously tourist, but we just arrived, had a mooch around etc. Thought it was very quiet and serene away from the harbour :confused: I'd imagine as it's such a day tripper's place you'll find it a lot nicer in the evenings. Lovely place.

Associate
OP
i'm the same, i wanted to make the most of it while i was there as i doubt i'll be back
don't regret going but was just taken aback by the sheer busyness. it was made worse for me though as i only had 6 hrs there including the boat over and then waiting in queues for everything. if you have a few days it will be more relaxed and you can kind of take your time

Somewhere nice you can say you’ve been to, that’s exactly what we think once the tourists get back to Sorrento etc we might see a little bit of the real Capri, but we’ll see

Soldato
So me and the wife to be are going to be spending a couple nights in Capri for our honeymoon once we get married in October and we’re looking to make the most of it.
Has anyone been that can recommend some good things to see/do and places to eat/drink.
I know most of it will be packed with tourists probably but hopefully there will be like a more chilled area we can go to to chill out as well.

Thanks in advance!

Capri is OK for couple of days. But you must visit Tiberius holiday resort (Villa Jovis). After that if you have the opportunity to go to Pompeii on the mainland (is just across) do it.

Spent two weeks in 2002 between Amalfi and Naples, and must say Capri is the least of the "sightseeing" places in south Italy.
The following 7 weeks that summer, spent them on Calabria and Sicily visiting the archaeological sites and the Greek villages dating from the 6th century BC. Where their inhabitants still speaking an ancient Greek dialect even today on some. (they are descendants of ancient Greeks and Byzantines)

Don
Capri is lovely.

I have and so spend a lot of time in Naples as my family are from there... the whole Amalfi coast is amazing, and I could recommend Sorrento enough.

I also suggest exploring Naples as its a lot safer then it was 20 years or so ago when I use to go as a child.

Stelly

Back
Top Bottom