• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8 core coffeelake on Z370 ?

Soldato
AFAIK intel haven't released a Z series board that has not been supported for 2 generations.

Intel released Z100 series motherboards back in 2015 supported 6th gen Skylake 6000 series CPUs and then in 2016 Z100 series motherboards supported 7th gen Kaby Lake 7000 series CPUs with BIOS update new CPU microcode.

Last edited:
Soldato
Check buldzoid's video who's doing proper overclocking not half arsed one like the others.
His 2700X can hit 4.5Ghz only on the Ultra Gaming, and that due to that he can fiddle with the PBO offsets that do not exist on others, on all others is between 4.2-4.3 tops. His words is that UG with a 6 core or less could easily maintain 4.5Ghz CPU.
But he hasn't posted yet the results of his Gaming 7 which combines good VRM and BIOS.

All his videos though are too technical for most of "today's" overclockers....

Buldzoid covers bases others don't but wouldn't go as far as to lick his bottom. For instance if he was going to the trouble and knew his onions, he'd show what the current ramp/pull was at those loads as well. That way you'd be able to tell just what exactly is running out of spec, and what isn't. Not watched the videos, but I'm guessing he doesn't do this, as nobody in the tech media knows how to properly. Guessing there's no proof of how conditional the overclock is in his video, either.

Soldato
Soldato
Asus upgrading their boards but an interesting quote at the end of this article;
https://www.kitguru.net/components/...360-h310-bios-updates-for-intel-9th-gen-cpus/

ASUS maximus x hero shows it does support 9000 series CPU's

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Version 1602
2018/07/108.49 MBytes
ROG MAXIMUS X HERO BIOS 1602
1.Improve system performance.
2.Supports Intel® Core™ 9000 series processor family.

https://www.tenforums.com/pc-custom...5068-asus-z370-maximus-x-motherboards-34.html

These guys also dug into the bios and found 8 core support.

TJM

TJM

Associate
I don't upgrade often, having gone from a 2500K to a 8700K, but the extra two cores in the 9900K makes it tempting. If it's practicable to get all cores to 4.7/4.8, I'll probably make the switch.

Associate
I just can't help but feel 8 cores at 5.0 is going to be hot on a stellar scale ¬_¬

It will eat watts like i drink Guiness, and heat up like nuclear fusion once the obligatory MCE modes are selected which everyone knows is the default mode of operation for intel CPU's.
Prob be the fastest gaming cpu for a while though, well maybe 6 months at least.

zer

zer

Associate
Very tempted myself...
I currently have i5 8400 in a z370 mobo from Gigabyte, so, i guess, will see more of a performance gain than coming from 8700k.
Still gonna wait benchmarks to come out...

Associate
Games don't really scale to 8 threads, but on the other hand the i9 9900K should have more L3 cache, so it might be a nice little bump over the i7 8700K in gaming.

Soldato
Games don't really scale to 8 threads, but on the other hand the i9 9900K should have more L3 cache, so it might be a nice little bump over the i7 8700K in gaming.

I'll be waiting for benchies but if it brings a decent increase then I'll upgrade. Saying that though there not a GPU fast enough to allow the 8700K to really stretch its legs. We're all GPU limited at the moment.
Nice to know there IS an upgrade available if needed though.

Associate
16MB of L3 cache so 33% more than what's on an i7 8700K, it should have some impact for CPU limited games, but remains to be seen just how much in benchmarks.
If they're soldering again, temps are going to be worse than on delided chips, so that's going to be an issue for more extreme overclocks IMO.

Back
Top Bottom