Car juddering before turning off.

Associate
So we have this 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe, and for the most part it works fine. Except at random points whilst driving it will judder, and turn off. I have pretty much no car knowledge outside of changing a tire and adding oil.

At first I believed this to be due to going up hills, so I tried avoiding them. Turns out this was not true, as it has done the exact same on straight roads. At this point I figured maybe it's low on gas. The gas gauge isn't exactly accurate but what else could turn it off? Not the issue either. As after having filled it up it will still do this.

Turns out the car has a slight oil leak, which at this moment I can't actually afford to fix or get fixed. Is this what could be causing it to turn off though? It's not exactly a huge leak, and despite adding oil and letting it sit and then checking if the oil is there it still turned off.
The reason I believe it's an oil related issue is because when the juddering starts the oil light turns on.
Had quite some bad luck with cars recently, and I don't exactly have the money to just up and buy a new one. Best thing is in my country mechanics are not exactly honest. They will do just about anything to get more money out of you, so I'm not willing to get it checked with a mechanic before trying to get some opinions online.
If it can't be related to the oil and it leaking then this would appear to be completely random. As I've been able to drive long distances and have no trouble but also drive short distances and have had it turn off.

Sorry for the long post, and to be honest I don't even know if it's structured right or in the right section of the forums but I'm quite desperate to get this fixed with school starting soon and all.

Soldato
Probably needs a new gearbox - x2, Forward & Reverse.

Whilst you're at it, change the Headlight Fluid and Elbow Grease and perhaps (depending on your local weather) replace the air in your tyres for Summer Weight.

You can find most of these in your country's equivalent of Halfrauds, in the same aisle as the Heavy Duty Tyre Beads, buckets of Welding Sparks and Flux Capacitors.

I'm not a mechanic, but there are others who may have alternative suggestions.

Soldato
Probably needs a new gearbox - x2, Forward & Reverse.

Whilst you're at it, change the Headlight Fluid and Elbow Grease and perhaps (depending on your local weather) replace the air in your tyres for Summer Weight.

You can find most of these in your country's equivalent of Halfrauds, in the same aisle as the Heavy Duty Tyre Beads, buckets of Welding Sparks and Flux Capacitors.

I'm not a mechanic, but there are others who may have alternative suggestions.

You've forgotten two tins of tartan paint, bubbles for a spirit level, a reach around and a long weight.

Don
Oil light will come on if the engine is juddering before dying due to low oil pressure. This is a symptom, not the cause.
Get the car on an OBD2 reader and pull the codes. That will give you a better idea about what the issue is. Could be the fuel pump though by the sounds of things.

Back
Top Bottom