Asus Realbench issues with 6700K

Soldato
So, I've overclocked a few CPUs, but just basic stuff like voltage and multiplier.

I've been trying to overclock my 6700K this evening, and started with 4.5 GHz @ 1.32V

Instability detected.

Tried 1.33V

Same.

1.35V... Same.

Got up to 1.45V, and nothing.

So, dropped the multiplier to 44.

Instability.

Okay, must be a dog of a CPU.

Go back to stock, tried stress to get a baseline voltage.

Instability.

Wait, what? I've been running this CPU for a year, no issues. I've done numerous stress tests, tonnes of work and never a crash.

Now, I can't get any stress test to run on it.

Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
Memtest86
Cheers - just running it now.

Strangely enough, my little brothers computer went haywire the other day too - the GPU wouldn't boost past idle speed.

His computer has been sat there, and so I've used a KB that I gave him on my PC, and since then, I've been having trouble with mine. The first time it booted with the keyboard, it blue screened.

I spilled water on the keyboard a few months ago, and replaced it at the time. Since then, it's been sat there, dead, but I checked it a couple of weeks and it worked again, so I thought I'd give it to my brother.

What are the chances they're linked?

Soldato
OP
I've run numerous other stress tests and benchmarks for hours without issues now, think it might be a software issue rather than hardware.

Make sure to set your page file to windows managed for all drives, I've noticed this a lot for realbench, I usually hard set my page file, kept giving me instability error, so set it too Windows managed, restart the computer and passed 8 hours of realbench.

I think it's something to do with this. Windows boot info (can't remember the name) is on my old SSD that no longer has windows on it. Not sure how the I do got in there, but even though windows is installed on my 850 Evo, the system won't boot without the HyperX (old boot drive).

Anyhow, after running these tests, I've noticed that I have not have the cooler sat properly, as I'm getting 85 degrees with a dark rock pro 3 at stock clocks.

Seems quite high. 5 degrees variation on the CPU cores too

Edit: only 61 degrees under load when gaming though

Soldato
I've run numerous other stress tests and benchmarks for hours without issues now, think it might be a software issue rather than hardware.

I think it's something to do with this. Windows boot info (can't remember the name) is on my old SSD that no longer has windows on it. Not sure how the I do got in there, but even though windows is installed on my 850 Evo, the system won't boot without the HyperX (old boot drive).

Anyhow, after running these tests, I've noticed that I have not have the cooler sat properly, as I'm getting 85 degrees with a dark rock pro 3 at stock clocks.

Seems quite high. 5 degrees variation on the CPU cores too

Edit: only 61 degrees under load when gaming though

The moral of this story is, always when installing Windows to any drive, temporarily unplug all other drives, or leave them as an unpartitioned space.

Try setting a page file (windows managed) for that drive too, at the moment it will only be set for your C:, then restart the computer and try running realbench again.

Soldato
OP
The moral of this story is, always when installing Windows to any drive, temporarily unplug all other drives, or leave them as an unpartitioned space.

Try setting a page file (windows managed) for that drive too, at the moment it will only be set for your C:, then restart the computer and try running realbench again.

Well that's the strange thing - I had! I know this as I only had a 2 SATA cables, and one was plugged into my hard drive.

My boot drive is my C: drive :)

Back
Top Bottom