• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why is the i3 8100 considered 'low end'?

Associate
Seems a weird one to me - Constantly read about how the i3 is a low end CPU, yet less than a year ago, the likes of the i5 7500/7600 were considered to be "high end" and the go to bang for your buck CPUs to pair with a high end graphics card, only bettered by the i7s of that generation, and even then the difference was negligible.

I know generally speaking the main reasoning behind this is just due to the fact you can get a 6 core CPU for the same price as what a quad core cost last year, but price aside, how can a CPU that competes, and often beats the best choice high end CPUs of last year, all of a sudden be considered 'low end'?

Feel like the name, "i3" just gives it that, not necessarily bad reputation, but at least something that sounds lower end, when in reality I don't really think it is

Permabanned
Seems a weird one to me - Constantly read about how the i3 is a low end CPU, yet less than a year ago, the likes of the i5 7500/7600 were considered to be "high end" and the go to bang for your buck CPUs to pair with a high end graphics card, only bettered by the i7s of that generation, and even then the difference was negligible.

I know generally speaking the main reasoning behind this is just due to the fact you can get a 6 core CPU for the same price as what a quad core cost last year, but price aside, how can a CPU that competes, and often beats the best choice high end CPUs of last year, all of a sudden be considered 'low end'?

Because if you try to do some real things with it, you won't get the necessary performance for smooth experience.
Because it is low-end with its limited "power" and potential.

Associate
I've recently used an 8100 in a cheap gaming machine, and its a pretty great chip for the money, but I think "low end" is all relative, its certainly lower than the rest of the core iX chips in the line up. Though I guess if I were to call it I would say the Celerons and Pentiums are the low end, and the i3s and i5s are mid range, with the the i7s and upcoming i9 being high end... Sooo Lower Mid range?

Permabanned
but "high end desktop" is a made up term, its like saying high end ford focus. :p

But Threadripper isn't a ford focus. It is more like Mercedes S-class AMG or something similar.
Ford focus is entry, just like those celerons and pentiums are.
i3 is low-end..

I've recently used an 8100 in a cheap gaming machine, and its a pretty great chip for the money, but I think "low end" is all relative, its certainly lower than the rest of the core iX chips in the line up. Though I guess if I were to call it I would say the Celerons and Pentiums are the low end, and the i3s and i5s are mid range, with the the i7s and upcoming i9 being high end... Sooo Lower Mid range?

Soldato
not really. an epyc is high end.

Not if it's the 7401P, that's the low-end EPYC. The 7601 Dual Socket is the high end :p

Product tiers and market segments exist for a reason. Server is different from consumer, and consumer has both mainstream and high-end. You can't compare an i5 to a Threadripper to gauge "low" or "high" end because they are different classes of CPU. But there is potentially so much granularity and segmentation it can almost put individual CPUs into their own bracket.

For my own spin on the OP's question though, I'd say the i3 is considered "low end" because it has always been the i series CPU with the lowest core count, with HT thrown in to differentiate it from "entry level". Traditionally...

Entry level: Pentium (2c/2t)
Low end: i3 (2c/4t)
Mid-range: i5 (4c/4t)
High-end: i7 (4c/8t)

8000 series added 2 cores to those numbers of course, but the pattern still held. Now, the 9000 series screws that up because Intel gotta fleece it's customers; mid-range is now mid-tier core count with no HT, high end is top-tier core count with no HT, and a new premium tier is top-tier core count WITH HT.

Permabanned
I wouldn't count EPYC/Xeon as 'high-end', server class stuff is it's own category. They're built for maximum stability rather than all out performance.

Servers are like trucks (which on its own have low, medium and high-end), while consumer are like cars.

Associate
It is low end in the current line up. IPC is good but something like the Ryzen 1400 is better in (general) as it's 4c/8t for not much more.

Doesn't really mean anything, it just is what it is. i3-8100/Ryzen 1200 class = low end, 8400/2600 class = mid range, 2700x/8700k class = high end in the consumer arena really.

Back
Top Bottom