2nd stream PC specs

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking to put together a 2nd stream PC. My main build is a typical 8700k/1080ti affair and I game at 1440p and up to 165hz. I'm not going to resort to 1080p for gaming.

I don't want to use my main rig in any way other than gaming on so the 2nd PC has to handle all the stream related work. What kind of spec would be good for a 1080p/60fps stream? Is there an older cpu using ddr3 that could handle this in order to save on cost? I'd also rather not use a capture card given their cost and understand OBS can now substitute for this but if so, does this mean a stronger 2nd cpu and how would you capture the gameplay?

Thank you all!

Associate
OP
I feared as much. Capturing gameplay from a 1440p source with a capture card means £££. Can I capture it with OBS on the gaming PC then somehow send that to the stream pc without a card?

Man of Honour
Can't you just stream from the 8700k, I would have thought it would be plenty powerful enough to stream 1080p/60 while also gaming away.

I stream 1080p/60 on my 1950x and can feel no difference in gameplay and see no difference in framerate when I do.

Associate
OP
An 8700k is not a 1950x when multitasking!

I do get some drops here and there and stutters as its doing its job so I'd rather keep the main pc free to do one thing. I can afford to put together a basic 2nd system plus its something to do. The main issue I have put on myself is that it needs to be as simple as possible and without compromising the gameplay in any way.

Man of Honour
An 8700k is not a 1950x when multitasking!

I do get some drops here and there and stutters as its doing its job so I'd rather keep the main pc free to do one thing. I can afford to put together a basic 2nd system plus its something to do. The main issue I have put on myself is that it needs to be as simple as possible and without compromising the gameplay in any way.

Sorry dude I wasn't suggesting that it was it just surprises me that the, is it 12 threads?, on 8700k wouldn't eat this up.

Associate
OP
It probably could do it just fine but I’m aiming for maximum performance and my ocd starts clucking an ideal setup is a 2nd stream pc.

Associate
OP
Jeez, I'm amazed. Intel have actually done something customer focused rather than shaft us... Its probably just an 8 core 7700k but like the 8700k was a 6 core version but hey, that's 8 very fast cores. I've just read about the chip and that's not a bad idea at all!

How much impact would a 2nd monitor have on my ti that was purely for desktop duties whilst the main display is gaming?

Soldato
Have you tried changing to 60FPS when streaming to see if there's an improvement? You lose everything above that anyway and watching a recording at <60fps is fine as you aren't aware of input lag - as you aren't playing, so it feels smoother anyway.

Otherwise you are looking at an elgato card IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom